Needed-1966 New Process 435 Info

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Needed-1966 New Process 435 Info

Post by Rodger »

Hola Guru's

If one want's to work on a 1966 NP 435, can they just swap the complete transmission unit ???

I was told way back when, that a 1966 in-put shaft was a differant spline count from the newer ones. If that is so, then what is the easiest way to go ???

The engine is an 1966 A-318.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Needed-1966 New Process 435 Info

Post by Hobcobble »

Rodger wrote:Hola Guru's

If one want's to work on a 1966 NP 435, can they just swap the complete transmission unit ???

I was told way back when, that a 1966 in-put shaft was a differant spline count from the newer ones. If that is so, then what is the easiest way to go ???

The engine is an 1966 A-318.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
The input shaft spline count on Sweptlines changed in '69 when the clutch set up
switched to mechanical from hydraulic. Newer input shafts had 23 splines. They
also had a cross member mount on the tail shaft..... the earlier NPs hung from
the bell housing.... which had its own cross member. Hope I've "splined" it clearly
for you. :lol:
John

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

Hola John

Is it possible to use the early designed 1966 - 1968 NP 435 internal parts into the newer NP or vise versa ???

OR

Use the newer complete transmission unit and a newer designed Clutch Pack/assembly from the LA-318 on the back of the A-318 ???

I ask this since I have an 1976 NP 435 Transmission, and an 1966 Truck ( which has the 1966 spec'd NP 435 ).

Rodger & Gabby
COS

ps
and Thank You again
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Roger,
I don't know how the input shaft L & Dia. dimensions compare between
the earlier & later NP's. You'd also have to check the Dia., thickness
and spline collar on the 23 spline disc against that of the 10 spline
disc. The clutch pressure plates also changed in '69. Your throw
out bearing and pressure plate "fingers" on the '66 truck are
different than the '69 & up parts. I can't confirm.... but the
earlier throw out bearing I.D. might be larger than the later
bearings [i.e. larger input shaft retainer?]. The rear yokes should
take the same u-joints but be sure to check the overall length
of the tranny..... I'm not sure if you'd have a drive shaft run-out
issue or not. I am assuming the continued use of the '66 bell housing
and flywheel. Hope this is of help to you. Others may likely have
information to add. Is the newer tranny a close ratio NP??... just
curious. :thinking
John

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

John

Actually the 1966 unit is the close ratio version. It has some issues on getting in the correct selected gear ratio ( slot ) when trying to move the shift lever ( all three feet of muscled leverage ).

Since I have the 1976 unit collecting dust my idea was to use the close ratio gearing and what ever else in the newer box. If not I'll just try to use the 1976 unit behind the 1966 bell-housing. Or whatever solution a guru comes up with for now.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

drunkenmaster061968
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Houston, Tx

Post by drunkenmaster061968 »

The input shaft spline count on Sweptlines changed in '69 when the clutch set up
the bell housing.... which had its own cross member. Hope I've "splined" it clearly
John

Just curious my truck is titled as and i'm pretty sure its a 1968 I was told i'm the third owner and its supposed to be all original and i have a hydraulic clutch set up so is it just a half year thing possibly or was i possibly fibbed to just wondering and in what way i could figure out

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

Hola Brandon

It seems as if we both have the same clutch pack ( my 66 to your 68 ).

Rodger & Gabby
COS

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

drunkenmaster061968 wrote:
John

Just curious my truck is titled as and i'm pretty sure its a 1968 I was told i'm the third owner and its supposed to be all original and i have a hydraulic clutch set up so is it just a half year thing possibly or was i possibly fibbed to just wondering and in what way i could figure out
The clutch set up changed in '69, per my information supplied. Your truck, if legitimately a '68, would
[should] have the hydraulic clutch. What do you want to "figure out" :thinking .... I don't understand
what you're asking. If you're asking what would identify a hydraulic clutch system.... look at the firewall
of your truck and there should be a clutch master cylinder next to your brake master cylinder. Hope
this helps. :Thumbsup If not.... let us know. ( Maybe it was my statement: "switched TO mechanical
FROM hydraulic" that threw you off :thinking :study )
John

littlestviking
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hammond, IN

Post by littlestviking »

One thing I noticed that was not brought up is the hydrolic(butchered) bellhousing requires a longer input shaft. I was told years ago that I could interchange the input shafts to change to a newer trans. Never tried it, but there is a difference in the length of the shafts. If a mechenical clutch input shaft were used with a hydrolic bell the input will not enter the pilot bushing. That could cause problems with the clutch, input shaft bearing, and the bearing between input and output shafts. The reverse set up the input shaft would hit the crank before the trans is in all the way. I have not done either but there is a 1"-2" difference in length the shafts.

Mark

drunkenmaster061968
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Houston, Tx

Post by drunkenmaster061968 »

my appologies i read the post wrong i thought you said mine should have had a mechanical no clarification necessary