727 kickdown linkage

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Red
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

727 kickdown linkage

Post by Red »

My 69 D-100 has the linkage type kickdown, the dam thing wants to down shift under the slightest load. How do I adjust it properly?
I was a cute baby. My mom said when I was born they threw away the mold. Some of it grew back- Emo Phillips
http://community.webshots.com/user/greenbean119

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

linkage

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Wow!
mine was just the opposite when I put it back together! So that means that you have too much pressure on the rod pushing back, alternative could be a lighter pressure spring-or you can crawl underneath and adjust the screw at the bottom of the kickdown rod, did you do anything to the transmission?

Red
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Red »

Nothing has been done to the tranny as far as I know, it was a spare a buddy had after parting a 69 D-100 about ten years ago, mine took a crap about two months ago so I slid this one in. it wouldnt shift into third at first, so i slipped in some lucas tranny additive and modified the kickdown linkage for more adjustment and it started shifting better. It worked fine for about a month until it started this. I disconnected the kickdown linkage saterday on the way home from work and it shifts fine. I would leave it that way, except Ive heard that leaving it dissconnected can burn up a tranny.
I was a cute baby. My mom said when I was born they threw away the mold. Some of it grew back- Emo Phillips

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

Red, without the kick down hooked up , it will not shift just right , , you won't notice it but the trans will inside , my son left one off a good trans , lasted him about a month , took it to my trans guy , he call me & said the kick down was'nt hooked up , I never told him , we just pulled it & took it to him , he could tell just by looking inside , , you'll just have to play with your adjusments
8)
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

kickdown

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Red
cowboy is right, it will seem that eveything is fine but your not shifting down at stops and this is hard on the 3rd gear clucthes, it sounds like the screw at the transmission is to tight. Are you running a big block or small block? either way the kick down is needed to return it to 1st or 2nd gear when you slow down. plus your response when needing a passing gear wouldn't be their without the kickdown.

Red
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Red »

Its got a stock 318 2bbl in front of it, im gonna try sdjusting the linkage at lunch on tuesday and see if that helps