transmission swap

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Tufftruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: transmission swap

Post by Tufftruck »

IRISH70:
I think you made a good choice and you should be pleasently surprised how your new tranny shifts, especially after shifting the NP-435 truck tranny for awhile. You won't have the granny gear any more, but you will gain the Overdrive that I think you are looking for. $1000.00 seems a little high, but if it all works out for you and it's what you were looking for, in a few weeks it will be all forgotten and you will be looking at " What else can I do to this truck? "
Let us know how it all turns out.
70 W-200 440 NP435 SWB
71 D-100 225 A-833 SWB
Hawg

IRISH70
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by IRISH70 »

To clarify how I spent $1000; actually I think the tally will be about $975 at final end.......no shadetree here.....too cold out and snow lying around.

The dollars spent includes all parts, labor, taxes. In it was an aluminum bellhouse, the trans as described, a new flywheel, a complete new clutch assembly, a special-made completely new 3" tube/1 piece driveshaft, new rear motor mount.......a combination of OEM mopar and applicable aftermarket new parts. I feel satisfied with the price vs the work quality in the speedy time frame it was done (3 days) by a professional specialty (mopar oriented) auto shop. Best part of the deal was the shop being just across the street and down the block from my residence in an old historic housing area of Longmont, Colorado.

I will post results as I get facts on the performance. Purely for anyone who might be likewise interested in what I experienced. Again, the forum was valuable in me choosing to do the swap.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

IRISH70 wrote:To clarify how I spent $1000; actually I think the tally will be about $975 at final end.......no shadetree here.....too cold out and snow lying around.

The dollars spent includes all parts, labor, taxes. In it was an aluminum bellhouse, the trans as described, a new flywheel, a complete new clutch assembly, a special-made completely new 3" tube/1 piece driveshaft, new rear motor mount.......a combination of OEM mopar and applicable aftermarket new parts. I feel satisfied with the price vs the work quality in the speedy time frame it was done (3 days) by a professional specialty (mopar oriented) auto shop. Best part of the deal was the shop being just across the street and down the block from my residence in an old historic housing area of Longmont, Colorado.

I will post results as I get facts on the performance. Purely for anyone who might be likewise interested in what I experienced. Again, the forum was valuable in me choosing to do the swap.
Sounds like money well spent to me. :Thumbsup
John

Jeffc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jeffc »

what is your rearend gearing and tire size?
http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.asp?id=141
should be able to find the right speedo pinion size to correct the
speedo.......
http://imageevent.com/jeffc
62 D100 225 3sp lwb
64 D100 A318 727pb custom lwb
66 D100 A318 4sp lwb
68 D100 B383 727 swb
65 Dart GT LA273 2bbl 904
73 Scamp 225 2bbl 4sp od
68 P300 318 727 base Oasis 22' RV
71 for sale D200 318 auto parts truck could be fixed compleat $400
Old iron or no iron!
One size does NOT fit all!

IRISH70
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by IRISH70 »

Got the transmission in and operating; got some results back. More than satisfied with the performance, now that the A-833 overdrive is a reality. Speedometer is accurate enough to establish some reliable results. Speedo checked by several neighborhood/school zone speed monitors, right on the money; odometer in several 3-5 mile highway milemarker comparisons is 1/10 of a mile short on runs @ the 3 mile marker distance. I am using LT235/75R15 tires mounted before the swap. My OD final ratio is .71:1, same stock rear end (gear ration unknown, unimportant to me). Usuing 85 octane/10% ethanol pump fuel, the miles driven for the gas consumed made an average mpg of 19.67....allowing for odometer inaccuracy, call it an even 19 mpg from a combination of 50-50 town/freeway driving. Acceleration is more than comparatively excellent, off the light or outright acceleration running (75 mph, NO gear down) in either case. I can pull cars any gear, any parallel speed. Engine runs "relaxed", but connecting a tach is in process to monitor more facts. Cruises at any speed limit......55, 65, 75......even a short prolonged run @ 85, top 90 with seemingly plenty of power to go. Frosting on the cake is the mellow deep tone of the new dual exhaust. Vehicle at completion of transplant procedure has 137, 204 original miles.

I was thinking of 20-23 mpg when I started this. The resulting number 19.7 is in the ballpark; I bet I can get the 22 mark, or better, if the scenario was a constant cruising (like my freeway trips to Texas, N. Mex, or California) and using a higher grade fuel. For the pessimists who think this is trumped up verbage, who cares....I need prove nothing to no one! For the optimist who cares.....I know the reality of numbers, and I sure don't try to fool myself. The decision and the expense was well worth the result; I know because I get to drive it!

Made an excellent vehicle ever better!

Tufftruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Tufftruck »

Glad to hear it's working out. I am sure you made the right decision. :Thumbsup
70 W-200 440 NP435 SWB
71 D-100 225 A-833 SWB
Hawg

IRISH70
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by IRISH70 »

Finale of this production; final curtain call.

Tach installed. @ 55 mph in OD (4th gear), engine is turning 1700-1800 rpm; @65 in OD, 1900-2000 rpm.......actual recordings. I have not had it on the freeway at 75 with the tach working, but I have no problems on the open road maintaining a constant 75 or more. From the pattern of numbers observed today, as above, I suspect that the engine speed cruising @ 75 would be in the vicinity of 2200-2300 rpms. With LT235/75R15 radials, the A-833 OD transmission (OD gear ratio .71:1), stock differential for the OEM NP-435 trans, I have surpassed an estimated 2500-2800 rpm range that was projected by observers as the best result possible set up the way it is.

Tufftruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Tufftruck »

Irish70:
How do you like the shifting compared to the NP 435?
70 W-200 440 NP435 SWB
71 D-100 225 A-833 SWB
Hawg

Ruckus
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Stevensville, Montana

Post by Ruckus »

Congrats on your completed swap! :clap
some info I might add to the forum...

You will get the best mileage and power using the lowest grade fuel that doesn't "ping". Premium is for very high compression engines only and will not fully burn in a regular engine. If you ever smell sulfer on a hill, thats their catalytic converter trying to deal with all the unburned gas!

The NP435 came in both wide and close ratio versions. Supposedly there is no way to tell them apart except to count shaft rotations or drive the vehicle. The 435 close ratio has no syncro on first, meaning you have to come almost to a stop to downshift into first. First gear is still plenty low for towing, especially if you have a V-8. Because the shifts are closer, it gives you more power and keeps your rpm's more consistent (less rev and lug). This allows for taller tires or taller gears, which gives better highway performance. (but not as good as an overdrive)

My 68 W200 /6 has the close-ratio tranny and is listed as a NP435-D on the data plate. But other 435-D trannys are wide ratio... right? Supposedly nobody knows what the letters stand for (maybe a production run?). It would be cool if we could figure out how to spot a close-ratio tranny. Currently, I am suspecting that most /6's got the close-ratio tranny. I would also suspect older trucks to be more likely to have the wide ratio as that was traditional.
78 W200 crewcab, 68 W200, 59 Willys Wagon, 52 Ford F5 Cabover

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Irish70 doesn't get here too much, however I see him alot and he will be at the Parts and BBQ on Saturday, he loves the hell out of the swap, he drives it everywhere, he now can use the 1st gear and go road speed without over revving the engine, along with the fact he gets 22mpg :Thumbsup