FRAM Filters

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Davey
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

FRAM Filters

Post by Davey »

Has anyone heard anything bad about FRAM oil filters? I've heard some bad things, but never had any first hand experience with a problem with them, until tonight. I had noticed that it was taking maybe 10 to 12 seconds for the oil light to go out when I started my /6. When I changed the oil tonight, I noticed when I unscrewed the old filter (a FRAM) that there was virtually no oil in it like there normally is. Almost none poured out, and you know that on a /6, the filter is mounted gasket down. I think the anti-drain back valve on this FRAM had failed, and allowed the filter to empty upon shutdown, and resulting in a dry start the next time. This explains my oil light staying on a while longer than it should. I replaced it with a CARQUEST (Read W-I-X) and the oil light goes out immediately now. I also heard once that FRAM uses a cheap paper filter element, but I've never cut one open to look. I think I'll stick with top-shelf filters from now on. My engine is a high mileage unit, and it needs all the help it can get. Listening to the lifters clatter for ten or twelve seconds don't get it. I've never removed an old oil filter that had no oil in it before. Scarey. Davey

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Post by cudajimmy »

I work in the parts industry. Fram is about the bottom of the barrel as filters go. Less filteration paper and let more and bigger microparticles through. If you were to pick up a Fram in one hand and say a Wix, or STP, or most other brands, in the other, there is a weight difference you can FEEL.

:2cents
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

After reading negative comment from people who cut them apart on Moparts I cut a couple apart myself. Let's just say I won't use them if there is ANY other filter available which hopefully is not made by Fram.
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

duracell
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Peoria,Arizona

Post by duracell »

on one of the jeep site's i hit most have nothing good to say about the fram because of the lack of anti drain back valve
as always and sometimes not,steve

Panelbeater02
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Panelbeater02 »

duracell wrote:on one of the jeep site's i hit most have nothing good to say about the fram because of the lack of anti drain back valve
http://www.wixfilters.com you can find which filter fits your ride, sure they cost more, but are way better.
I used Fram for a long time, till I read about how cheap they are....
Panelbeater

scoutski
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by scoutski »

There was an independant study done on oil filters. I made a copy of it but can't seem to find it. I will look for it some more later. The Fram was one of the lowest rated filters. There are more and more being manufactured in China. The quality of the materials is inferior to what is used in the USA. Some of them are rusty on the inside right out of the box. Personally, I would not put a Fram filter on anything that I own. This includes their air filters too.
Scoutski
68 W200 PW (sold to Big-J)with a 76 200 por nada
77 Scout II Original
74 Scout II SSII clone
69 800 Gold Key
65 80-800 parts
68 1300 PU with venerable 266
76 Scout II XLC parts truck
55 R110 PU parts???

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

Ditto, Fram bad, Wix Good!

FYI, one of the comparisons I read a year or so ago, cut open the Mopar filter and it looked just like the low end Fram.

Most of the Fram stories I hear have to do with the filters soming apart inside and blocking flow or failing apart and getting into the motor.

Butch Romig
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: garnett ks

Post by Butch Romig »

look here for the real deal on filters
butch http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette ... study.html

cptn60
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bloomington
State: IL

Post by cptn60 »

That oil filter study is 7 years old. There is a lot of good information in there but MoPar now sources their filters through Wix. HTH

cudajimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Oklahoma
State: OK

Post by cudajimmy »

cptn60 wrote:That oil filter study is 7 years old. There is a lot of good information in there but MoPar now sources their filters through Wix. HTH

True story. :goodpost
69 Barracuda Notchback 440
61 D100 SWB Poly Auto
65 36' Chris Craft Constellation

Snowdogg
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Snowdogg »

Thank's for the info guy's. I'm goning to yank the fram out of my B-U-ICK today. Was wondering why when I just replaced the oil pump I had to wait for the oil light to go out.Guess I should have known to stay with WIX. The brand ROUGHNECKS DEPEND ON!!!!!!!!!! :Thumbsup