Setting up the center section of an 8 3/4 rear?

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
bean
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Cuba
State: AL

Setting up the center section of an 8 3/4 rear?

Post by bean »

:banghead Just got a sure grip unit for my 70 D100. Bought a complete rear end bearing kit. Now that I have the center section apart. How do I set it up so that its right when I get it back together. I have acess to all types of machinest tools. So anyone got any tips? :banghead
1965 Utiline D100 Shorty.../6...3spd...orange...102,000 miles.

1970 Shortbox D100...318...727...almond white..467,000 miles...currently in restoration..

1991 Dodge Ram 50

1968 C@^^@R()
My web page: http://www.myspace.com/chainsawdudewitprobs

Hippy_Dave
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Union
State: WI

Post by Hippy_Dave »

I never did one but I got the book that shows how. Check with one of your local machine shops that services semi rigs or tractors?? I scored the tech book (about 20 pages) for my Dana 40 front that way. Otherwise a decent shop manual for your truck should have all the details also. I'm told it aint hard just a bit time consuming? :thinking good luck!
69 D-200
37 Delivery Sedan (in pieces)
92 Dakota - traded for a 2001 Ram 1500
79 Dodge Aspen 2-dr -- didnt have time for it
2010 Charger former squad car = Love it
sweeet

JJ
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lawton
State: OK

Post by JJ »

Get a factory service manual. There are several different cases for 8.75 rear ends although you most likely have a 741 case, this was stock and the smallest pinion stem of the three. The other ones might be 742 or 489. They all set up just a little differently as the 741 and 742 use shims to set pinion dept and the 489 uses a crush sleeve. However if you are just installing the sure grip you don't need to mess with taking the pinion out. Measure your backlash and put your ring gear and new bearings on the suregrip with new ringear bolts (they have a left hand thread) and reinstall to the same backlash. That's it in a nut shell.