Late 80's EFI swap?

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
RoukoSadra
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hawk Springs
State: WY

Late 80's EFI swap?

Post by RoukoSadra »

Hey guys, I have a 1989 W200 Power Ram truck with the 318LA that has the throttle body on what looks to be a 2bbl carb intake manafold, will the throttle body swap over to my 1966 318Poly with or without a plate to adapt it? I know I need to update the fuel system for the TBI from a 89 Dodge but, what else would I need to adapt to my truck for it to work?

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

Re: Late 80's EFI swap?

Post by Noelie84 »

The intakes are different between the LA and the Poly. The routing on a Poly is I-E-I-E-I-E-I-E, where the LA/Magnum arrangement is E-I-I-E-E-I-I-E, so I'm not sure if the throttle body will bolt on to the old-style intake.

But, I have read about people putting TBI systems onto older LA motors. Not sure why, though. My own personal (and therefore anecdotal) experience with the late-80's TBI system is that it produces less power and similar MPG's to a properly tuned carburetor.

Edit:
My knowledge on the subject of carb-to-injection systems is pretty limited, but at the very least, you'd need to:
*Swap in an electric fuel pump that can maintain the 35 or so PSI you'll need to run the TBI (by comparison, I think our mechanical pumps run around 6 psi)
*Replace any rubber hoses with fuel injection hoses
*Swap in the engine management computer from the '89, along with all of the associated wiring and harnesses

You'd also probably have to alter your ignition timing, and if you're still using points then a pertronix system would also be on the list.
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

RoukoSadra
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RoukoSadra »

well my Poly only gets 8-10mpg from what I can tell from doing the math with 10 gal of gas (Give or take 10-20 +- of 100miles on 10 gallons) I know the 89 my family has will get 15-18mpg with the LA 318 in it, so could I with all the required parts... intall the TBI unit on the Poly's intake with a adapter plate?

F.Y.I: I plan on installing a Chevy suberban Fuel tank on my truck so the fuel pump will supply the needed fuel pressure to the TBI system.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

If your hell bent on installing EFI on your Poly, Then why not install a 4 BBL intake and go aftermarket EFI conversion. That would be the best way to go. :thinking :thinking :2cents
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

RoukoSadra
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by RoukoSadra »

dodgeboykim wrote:If your hell bent on installing EFI on your Poly, Then why not install a 4 BBL intake and go aftermarket EFI conversion. That would be the best way to go. :thinking :thinking :2cents
I would if the 4 bbl intake wasn't $500 + $300-$400 for the carb =$900 I would do that. (I might do a 4bt swap in it for around the same price.) I guess I'll just live with the 2 bbl carb & intake for a while longer then.