A100 kick down rod modification

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
dkoldos
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Elgin
State: IL

A100 kick down rod modification

Post by dkoldos »

I have a 1966 A100 pickup that I got way back in 2001. Converted to GM throttle body fuel and ignition management. Health reasons saw it stored for 13 years until just a couple months ago. One thing I never completed is modifying the kick down rod for the higher and more forward position of the throttle body. Going to use the original double D end of the rod. Question: is the goal to have the kick down rod pushed all the way back to its limit at the trans lever at wide open throttle? Don't want to blow the trans up.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: A100 kick down rod modification

Post by 712edf »

I can't remember the specifics but I know you don't want the transmission lever to bottom at beforethe carb reaches WOT. This prevents the carb from reaching WOT. I think theoretically they should but bottom out at the same time. Not sure if leaving a smidgen of clearance in the trans lever hurts anything. Too much clearance causes sluggish kickdown action & possible transmission damage.

The geometry of the two have to be in sync, meaning they have to have comparable travels. This is partially why there is so many various kickdown linkages for the different engine/carburetor combinations, to keep the travels in sync.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

dkoldos
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Elgin
State: IL

Re: A100 kick down rod modification

Post by dkoldos »

Thanks Bucky for the light on this.

Pretty much what I figured, WOT and full kick down at the same time.

The first owner was a pilot and fabricator. I think he modified the original existing kick down rod. Right now it hits the rear engine doghouse so as is it'll never go full kick down travel. Mc Master Carr for material to bring the rod back to working order then an aluminum plate to attach to the throttle body throttle lever to put kick down and throttle in proper synch.