Manual to Auto

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
Moparsteve
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bakersfield
State: CA

Manual to Auto

Post by Moparsteve »

Hello everyone,
I'm thinking of changing the 3 speed manual transmission to a 904 3 speed auto in my 65 A 100 pickup. I have a option of changing from the /6 to a v8 also. The things I have a question about are the dash mounting bracket and bezel. The cable length for the dash shifter to the trans and mounting the trans. I have a 65 a body floor mounted shifter
Assy with a cable operated /6 and V8 auto trans. What mounting bracket and bezel do i need to start this change?
Thanks for any help.

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Manual to Auto

Post by 712edf »

Is the 904 from another A100 or the 65 A-body?

IIRC the A100 transmissions hang from belowthe crossmember while the car ones sit atop the rear crossmember. Tailshaft housings are totally different.

I think the dash bracket/bezel on A series vans is slightly different from those on D series trucks. I have owned one of each, but honestly don't remember how much.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Moparsteve
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Moparsteve »

Hello Bucky
The auto is from an a body car. I know about the mount for the A100 on the tail housing and if I can find one I can change it.
The shifter bezel on the dash is special to the A100's if my inspections of pictures of the dashes are any indication then I need to find a A100 dash mount. What about cable lengths?
Thanks for your help.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

I just happen to have an A dash mount cable, bezel, shifter that I pulled from a junkyard van about 15 yrs ago. It was pretty damn long IIRC, and yes the bezel is different.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos

Post by Wildergarten »

Moparsteve wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:08 pm
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking of changing the 3 speed manual transmission to a 904 3 speed auto in my 65 A 100 pickup. I have a option of changing from the /6 to a v8 also.
I have the entire conversion available for a big block (only) from a '67 D200: dash, cables, shifter, linkages, speedo cable, brake pedal, A727-B transmission with torque converter and flex plate, crossmembers, driveshaft, cooling tubes, wiring for the neutral safety switch, and even bolts. It's been kept under cover, clean, and ready to go on to a pallet. The trans has been tested and worked perfectly. The only thing it needs is a new dipstick. PM me if you are interested.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Moparsteve
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Moparsteve »

PwrWgnDrvr,
I sent you a PM, I think.
I was inquiring about the shifter you said you have.
If it's for sale? If I could get some pictures of the mounting bracket and cable length. If it's not for sale maybe the pics could show me what I really need.
Thank you for your help, Steve

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Got the pm Steve, haven't had a chance to search it out, but will endeavor to find it in the next couple days. PM me your email adr for an efficient reply. I can't, don't and won't text.

Moparsteve
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Moparsteve »

Thank you for your reply, I didn't know if I sent the pm correctly. You don't have to be in any hurry the poor little pickup is getting in the Q in a bit.
Looks like you have quite a list of projects also.
I have a another project truck, 1970 D 200 and a "Plastic Truck" - 2005 Dodge Power Wagon AKA my baby, 285,000 miles and running strong.
Thanks for everything and stay safe, Steve