getting the tranny out of a '69

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
dynamutt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

getting the tranny out of a '69

Post by dynamutt »

Im thinkiong of replacing the clutch. my preliminary scouting has me going hmmmmm. the rear trans mount fits in a three sided socket in front of the crossmember.... It LOOKS like part of it is spot welded, and the side of this box are bolted to the crossmember. You cant pullthe transmission straight back..... and lowering the engine enough to clear is really gonna twist the front m mounts. It LOOKS like the bolted side members are spot welded to the frame..... or do those unbolt? Then i could just rotate the tranny to clear it.... whats the drill on this..... AND, without taking it apart, how can i tell if its a 10.5 or 11 in, or will either size mate to the flywheel holes? Thx.

Conrad
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Re: getting the tranny out of a '69

Post by Conrad »

Ah nevermind... A100.. I'm of no help here...

My truck is a swapped in automatic, and I'm pretty sure that the engine and trans were guided in from the front as a unit. Like you, I have easily removed the rear-most tail shaft cross-mount but the original cross-brace runs directly under my trans pan. That prevents me from dropping it down.

I know the prior-prior owner/builder had planned on swapping out the permanent brace for an original removable cross-brace as he included one painted up with the truck as if that was his plan. However before I did that, I need to re-route my brake lines and I'd like to weld in a cross-brace driveshaft loop to everything together.

69a100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 69a100 »

There shouldn't be a x-member, the tranny is mounted by at the top middle of the tranny. Someone did some #@&%$# jerry rigging from what your saying. Sounds like you got your hands full, It should look like this! Good Luck
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ub ... stail1.jpg
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ub ... stail2.jpg
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ub ... 9a-108.jpg

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos

Post by Wildergarten »

69a100 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:38 pm
There shouldn't be a x-member, the tranny is mounted by at the top middle of the tranny.
My 69 had one with a center rubber mount under the tailshaft housing of the NP435. If I recall correctly, the brackets were riveted on the frame and the crossmember bolted to the brackets (unlike my '68 which has rear mounts on the bell housing), but the arrangement was definitely OEM. I'll take a look later today.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Wildergarten wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:03 am
69a100 wrote:
There shouldn't be a x-member, the tranny is mounted by at the top middle of the tranny.
My 69 had one with a center rubber mount under the tailshaft housing of the NP435. If I recall correctly, the brackets were riveted on the frame and the crossmember bolted to the brackets (unlike my '68 which has rear mounts on the bell housing), but the arrangement was definitely OEM. I'll take a look later today.
Mark, its an A100 van, not a truck.....they're weirder.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos

Post by Wildergarten »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:34 am
Wildergarten wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:03 am
69a100 wrote:
Mark, its an A100 van, not a truck.....they're weirder.
Oh. :thinking
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

dynamutt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara

Post by dynamutt »

"wierder", indeed, which is why i like joining this group. What ive learned from others: its DESIGNED to be lowered staight down as a unit- the engine & trans- BUT the front mounts, if not dried out- mine are new- will allow the thing to tilt enough it will clear the pocket its in....ive lowered the rear on other clutch jobs ive done, but this requires a much greater drop. As ill be doing this all by myself.... well, ive done a lot of major work by myself, so....i got a hd clutch lined up at Summit. Now i gotta locate the trans mount biscuit, as this one has "setteled" quite a bit over the past 50 years.....