‘68 A100 w/ 360

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
tom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: spokane
State: WA

‘68 A100 w/ 360

Post by tom »

greetings,

I have a ‘68 A100 van that’s been sitting in a garage for 15 years.
It has a rebuilt 360 with custom block-huggers and a B&M tranny with a Hurst floor shifter. I also did a complete re-wire with a kit from Ron’s Wiring. This configuration probably had a couple hundred miles on it at most before it went to the paint/body guy. After extensive body work, he got it primed (poly) and ready for paint. Then he died in a tragic boating accident. For real 😒
My problem is this - it’s been sitting w/o running for so long now, I’m wondering if I need to pull the motor and open it up to clean it out. I know I need to at the very least pull the carb, fuel tank and lines, but do I run the risk of damaging anything if I also don’t pull the motor and go through it to get the old oil out?
I’m reluctant to admit I never got around to doing anything with it for so long - life just took me in a different direction (no regrets) and I’m only just now in a place where I can start giving it my attention again.
I’d be grateful for any advice. Thanks
~tom

I feel more like I did when I first got here than I do now.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: ‘68 A100 w/ 360

Post by dodgeboykim »

I have had engines sit longer than that. Pull plugs and shoot in some oil to lube pistons etc. Turn over with a socket and bar a couple times and then use starter to spin. Install plugs, New fuel etc and try starting. Its gonna smoke. Run and bring up to temp. Afterwords do an oil change and antifreeze renew.
May want to pull valve covers to make sure everything goes up and down correctly.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

tom
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: spokane
State: WA

Re: ‘68 A100 w/ 360

Post by tom »

Thanks so much for your reply - it gives me hope : )
~tom

I feel more like I did when I first got here than I do now.