radiator that cools sufficiently

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
cathemoel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ft Worth
State: TX

radiator that cools sufficiently

Post by cathemoel »

I have a 69 a 108 with a slant six ,727 trans. I live in Texas and have trouble with over heating. I have had the original radiator re-cored but that wasn't good enough for Summer driving. I think I need either a radiator from a van with a 318 v-8 ( which would be hard to find in good condition) or an after market one ,probably aluminum. The problem is finding one that is 19" wide. 22" is the narrowest I could find and that won't fit in the dog house. I know I can have one made for $400-$500. But,I'd like do it for closer to $200 or so if possible. The radiator doesn't need to have a transmission cooler because I already have a separate one on it. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Re: radiator that cools sufficiently

Post by my5thmopar »

If the stock radiator was repaired correctly then, something else is wrong. Water pump vanes slipping or rotted off. Maybe the gage is incorrect, slipping belt, stuck thermostat. Engine lean, wrong timing, no shroud, on and on. Its easy to point to the radiator but, it very well may not be the issue. Why are you saying its "over heating"?

cathemoel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ft Worth
State: TX

Post by cathemoel »

I'm saying it's over heating because of the high temp indicated on the gauge and violent boil over if I remove the radiator cap. I've tried the things you mentioned. It's OK up to when the outside temp is in the low 90's. If it turns out to be the radiator I'm wondering if anyone has successfully used an aluminum radiator meant for a '32 ford on a A -100. It's cheaper than a custom made one (about$150) and according to the stated dimensions would fit with some fiddling. The basic design of the A series vans is prone to overheating and is a common problem mentioned on these forums .

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

When you had the stock rad re-cored how many rows were installed? Maybe a candidate for a performance electric fan?

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Do you have the air directing belly pan under the van.
Is it overheating while driving or stationary and running. Are you running antifreeze/coolant.
Just because water pukes out under pressure does not mean its too hot. What are you using to measure temperature in engine.
Stock gauge or aftermarket.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

dynamutt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Santa Barbara
State: CA

Post by dynamutt »

belly pan: vital. So is a fan shroud....

69a100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 69a100 »

How nasty is the cooling system itself?
When's the last time you did a thorough flush to include the block?
Have you pulled the plug in the block and cleared any blockage there, which I feel is your problem?
What's the condition of your T-stat?
When was it last replaced, and with what it's temp rating?

69a100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 69a100 »

I just love these types of topics where the idiots never report back when they have a problem!!!!! Why do they even post anything?