New Van owner

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
farmhand66css
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Portsmouth RI

New Van owner

Post by farmhand66css »

I just bought an a100 van. I was told it needed a new head gasket. Is it possible to do it with the engine in the van or do I have to pull it? It also seems to have a birds nest of an electrical system. I am not sure what to check out or plan to do. any advise is welcome.

Thanks Matt :usa
Farmhand 66 CSS
66 D100 CSS
65 A100 pop-top van
1978 shortbed stepside

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

So you DID buy it :salut :Thumbsup .... way to go
Matt!. Look in the archives on this site for A100
wiring diagrams.... that should get you on your
way. Also, look up George Geissinger..... he's in
the A100/A108 van club. There's also a guy named
Nate [aka "Nate the Skate"] who is heavy into the
vans. You might find some information on these guys
over at Norm's site if you can't find it here.
George's alias is "GEORGE!!!" I think Nate is down
in Maryland.... :thinking :thinking
John

farmhand66css
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by farmhand66css »

Thanks John,

I have actually met george down at carlisle a few years back. Not sure what I am going to do with the van, but couldn't pass it up.

Matt
Farmhand 66 CSS
66 D100 CSS
65 A100 pop-top van
1978 shortbed stepside

A100GEORGE
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

GEORGE

Post by A100GEORGE »

And i'm still here

69a100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Head Gaskets

Post by 69a100 »

If you have a /6 in it, you can just remove the head. You 1st need to remove the intake/exhaust manifolds then remove the head. If you don't have a service manual, I suggest that you get one. They are a vital source of info for working on these. Wiring diagrams, repair info, etc. etc. There is a certain sequence for the order of tighting the head bolts, as well as torque specs. Don't be afraid to ask questions as well. Good Luck

farmhand66css
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by farmhand66css »

Finally getting around to working on the old van. I pulled it into the garage with about an inch of clearance from the top to the garage door. :lol: I am planning on pulling the head to tackle the head gasket. I was planning on doing it with the engine in the van. And tips or advise is welcome. :Thumbsup I bought a box of dodge repair manuals a few years back. :study I went thru them and found one for a100's. I have a V8 273? with an automatic trans. dash shifter. Weather here is finally mild so time to start working in the garage.

Thanks Matt :usa
Farmhand 66 CSS
66 D100 CSS
65 A100 pop-top van
1978 shortbed stepside

Doug

Piece O' cake!

Post by Doug »

The seats just have a cuouple pins holding the back of the seat frame down,a couple bolts at the front of the seat frame .If it is a v8 the engine box unbolts in sections remove the side of the box for easy access.It beats the heck right out of leaning over the fender.
B'WARE! These units are highly addictive! They are even more fun to drive than the swepts due to thier cab forward design.
I have owned a 1/2 dozen of these over the years.The most fun was a big block A 100 that I had.They never came with big blocks and it took a considerable amount of fabrication.
The engine box didn't fit.When you put your foot in it, you could acually hear the carbs sucking air about 2' from your ear...right before the roar. It was like riding in a garbage can with a big block in there with you! That coupled with the fact that you are out in front of the wheels with no front end made it feel like you where going faster than you acually where...and you where hualin'!!!