A100 front axle

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
Toms67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: West Milford
State: NJ

A100 front axle

Post by Toms67 »

Hi, I have a 1967 Dodge A100 with 58,600 original miles and I am the second owner, owning it since 1973. Before parking it in 1986 I had the king pins replaced by a reputable 4x4 shop I dealt with since 1975. During the winter of 2009 I decide to dig it out of the corner of my warehouse and get it running and stopping which was no big deal. I put vintage aluminum slot's {8.5 up front and 9.5 out back} with 225/60/14 & 245/60/14 BFG's.
Now here's the problem the steering {manual} does not return when making a turn {caster problem}, steering box was notchie so I installed a rebuilt unit greased the front end till new grease pumped out of the king pins and tie rod ends and drag link. The factory shims are still in place between the axle and springs. Even took off the front tires and rims and replaced with thinner rims and tires with same results, steering does not return back to center when making a turn, I physically have to steering it back out of the turn, not fun. So this morning I climbed back under the A100 and something just did not look right. So I went over to the other side of my warehouse and looked at 1966 A100 sister truck which was parked back in !980 and found out that the mechanic/shop installed the front axle backwards {there's the caster problem}.
So here's the question; When I spin the front axle assembly around can I leave the spindles where they are {left becomes right and right becomes left} and just switch the arms from side to side that the drag link and tie rod ends attach to or do I have to switch the spindles also side to side?
Thanks Tom

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: A100 front axle

Post by dodgeboykim »

Won't your steering arm from left to right be on the wrong side of the axle if you don't swap the spindles. Should be apparent when yo flip the axle around. :thinking :thinking

Toms67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
State: NJ

Post by Toms67 »

No, actually had a spare hour this morning and started to take apart, on the left and right spindles the arms un-bolt by the larger lower bolts that also attach the brake backing plate to the spindle. There are also two smaller upper bolts that also hold the backing plate to the spindle {hung the backing plates off of leaf springs}. I flipped the spindle arms still attached to the tie rods {now positioned in front of axle to check for fitment and it will work after I flip the axle hopefully early tomorrow morning. Every thing should be in correct position. Thanks Tom

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Good to hear you got it figured out. :Thumbsup

Toms67
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member