New guy here, just picked up a nice 66 A100

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
GileadGarage
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bethel
State: VT

New guy here, just picked up a nice 66 A100

Post by GileadGarage »

Hi, new member here. I just picked up a nice 66 A100 225/3spd. I plan to make this a family friendly classic, have some plans for interior.

I drove it home 4hrs and it runs great, not a highway machine as i expected, so i took the back roads, including some steep mtn roads. It has 3:91's and pretty good power on the hills, I am considering going with 3:23's though. Not sure yet, that first gear is pretty long!

One thing it needs is Leafspring bushings, i am thinking about removing the lowest (short) leaf and maybe the next one on all 4 springs and will do new bushings. Also has a small trans leak from where tailshaft mounts to case.

Brakes are all new, new tires, everything else in very nice shape as far as i can tell. Only has 32K original miles. No bondo, new window seals, new(er) paint.

Engine plans include: super six upgrade; 2bbl, electronic ignition, split mani's, 2 1/2 exhaust, cam and head work. Just going for more efficiency and a bit more power while leaving it stock looking.

Interior plans include: sound deadening!!! and lots of it, using spray on with some dyna mat squares in some area's, then doing some nice wood on sides and roof with recessed LED lighting. I need a rear seat with shoulder belt, maybe Sprinter, Ford F series, Chev trail blzer (all have integrated should belts) I would like to have something period correct back there, but safety more important.

This thing just makes people smile, out of all odd ball vehicles i have had i never had such reactions from people. Here in VT these things are completely extinct! I would take this anyday over a VW (and i am somewhat of a VW guy at heart) I think the only area a VW would win is in ride quality!

I look forward to hanging around here...

GileadGarage
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: New guy here, just picked up a nice 66 A100

Post by GileadGarage »

Oh, I forgot to mention that i am a pretty big fan of the /6. while i would not mind a V8, I have no plans to swap!

68dually
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: turbotville
State: PA

Post by 68dually »

That thing is great! I've always wanted one of those with the dog dish hub caps and a /6. Don't change a thing , That thing is awesome.
Randy

Campinfool
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wisconsin Rapids
State: WI

Post by Campinfool »

Congrats on getting a very nice A100 :Thumbsup . Welome to the site. I'm another of the A100 owners here, mines a '67 campwagon. They are fun vans!!

Joel

EarlKann
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by EarlKann »

Welcome, looks awesome! Super clean!

GileadGarage
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by GileadGarage »

Thanks! yea, the dog dish caps stay, everything will stay pretty much stock, except for supersix upgrade eventually, light window tint, and a simple but nice interior.

Does anyone know where to get new leaf spring bushings for front and rear springs? how bout engine mounts (mine are a bit cracked/dry rotted)?

Anyone have 3:23's with a 225 3spd manual, if so how is it on hills? highway?

GileadGarage
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by GileadGarage »

I am finding stuff for D100's, do D100's share these parts with the A100 vans?

DodgeDirty1963
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: South Bay, L.A

Post by DodgeDirty1963 »

Wow, looks great for the east coast! I've always wanted an A-van myself. I almost traded my truck for one but backed out when I saw it was the worst rust bomb on the west coast I've ever seen.
Killer van though, that thing is awesome!

GileadGarage
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by GileadGarage »

Thanks for the kind words,

Yea, amazingly there is no rust anywhere, and no rust repairs ever (except for some surface rust I'd imagine). The bottom side looks real nice but could use a good cleaning/detail.

It was stored inside for many years, then got a full glass out paint and new seasl

I can't imagine there are many around like this, except West coast of course.

I decided to take it to a spring shop about 1/2 hr away to have all the bushings done, these guys are good and can get all parts. I almost never take a vehicle to a shop for work, but this time it seems like a good idea, not in the mood to fight those bushings. After it is done, they will deliver it right up the road to a window tinting place, just want a light tint on the 8 rear window's.

behindthebadge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ozark
State: AR

Post by behindthebadge »

This van looks "real groovy, man!"

A-100 vans and pickups are very cool looking - seems like you got a nice one. Keep the forum posted with plenty of pictures - inside, outside... can't wait to see more. Thanks, and welcome to the site.
:clap
Randall

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Post by Roxyflash »

I would go 355 gear at first then some taller tires if it goes good

facechicken
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Baileyville
State: KS

Post by facechicken »

I've got 3.23 gears in my 69 A108....no idea how it runs on em, its all in pieces right now....sweet looking van man :Thumbsup

Georgesee
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Diego

Post by Georgesee »

Sweet van! I'm new to the forum and also just bought a 65 A100 pickup with three on the tree and 225 engine. Like you, I'm finding out some parts are hard to come by. Sorry I couldn't help with your bushings but speaking of bushings mine on the shift linkage are worn out. Any ideas where I could turn for replacements?

vanman2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: pompano beach
State: FL

Post by vanman2 »

sweet Dodge A100 van congrats and enjoy , i have a 1965 Dodge A100 panel van SL6 3on the tree swb just been driving it on weekends or when i feel like it
Attachments
$T2eC16FHJGQE9noMZI7jBQO5wr,6g!~~60_1.jpg
$T2eC16FHJGQE9noMZI7jBQO5wr,6g!~~60_1.jpg (36.8 KiB) Viewed 4607 times