A-100 Cooling Issues

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
Boneheadjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Buffalo
State: NY

A-100 Cooling Issues

Post by Boneheadjoe »

Hello All,

As part of my A-100 project I have squeezed a 360 stroked to 408 into my 1968 pickup. I am now facing some heating issues as one could imagine. I have an electric fan on the truck now, which seemed to help some but not much, I have it pulling right now, But am in the process of moving it to the front and having it push on the advise of the guy who was going to dyno-tune it. The radiator is the center feed one, not off center, which I have been told is not helping my case, but since its a new 3-core radiator I dont really want to take it out again and have to buy a new one. I have seen people with biggger engines in their A's do 2 methods to help cool them down. One method I have seen is making a scoop in the bellypan, to direct air up while moving. I have also seen people cut the floor pan out and build a "tunnel" from just under the heater box to the front of the doghouse to let more air in. I was wondering, which is better? Or if anyone has done either or both and can offer suggestions I am open to ideas and suggestions. I was also wondering about getting the air out of the back of the doghouse. With all this air coming in, doesnt some have to exit? Has anyone ran into issues with that? Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Thank Joe

rustyvango
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: knoxville
State: TN

Re: A-100 Cooling Issues

Post by rustyvango »

air getting in isn't so much of a problem. getting it OUT is what needs work. our vans and trucks get a air "bubble" trapped in the engine box. there is a guy who made a air extraction unit. using rear window defroster fans that seemed to work fairly well. you having a truck makes your choices in doing this limited. im sure you don't want to cut the back of your bed out !! :lol: