New Van Owner - Advice on electrical needed.

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
StumpyJohnson

New Van Owner - Advice on electrical needed.

Post by StumpyJohnson »

Hello Hello...

I recently bought a '65 a-100 van...

I'm looking to completely rewire the whole damn thang right off the git'.

I was thinking of the painless wiring universal truck kit.

However, I'm also interested in any specific aftermarket complete wiring kits for this make and year. Are they even available? If so, what and where...gimme da' skinny!

scottie

wiring

Post by scottie »

stumpy, i don't have any experience with painless, but even with them you probably will have to make some changes. is your wiring badly cut up and/or hard wire? no one i know of makes an exact wiring harness for the vans. i do have a couple harnesses complete for the van, but again they are 48 years old and have some hard wires in them. you may be best off to replace what you have. find a service manual, they have the complete diagram in them.

scottie

Seabee
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Houston
State: TX

Post by Seabee »

I've heard nothing but good things about the painless kits. They aren't the only game in town though so you might be able to find a cheaper one. If you're not interested in a 100% stock resto - I'd say go for it.
These folks; http://www.autoloc.com/
have LOT's of cool stuff that can be used to upgrade/update wiring, windows, locks...
I'm going to get their power/remote lock kit for my D-100 asap.

StumpyJohnson

Post by StumpyJohnson »

I've been doing a bit of research and I skipped the painless route(for now), I'll check out the link posted.

I just bought the van so my main concern is simply to turn the engine over a bit and check the compression. But eventually a full rewire is called for...100% stock resto is not really in the cards at this point although the van I bought is a perfect candidate for it...

One other question.

Is there anywhere else on the vehicle that I might find the VSN #'s? The metal plate on the door sill is still there but the info on it is worn away and not legible.

The van seems to be have used for some sort of government issue or commercial/industrial purpose. There are caution stripes painted on the back and various stickers and decal inside that suggest it may have been used on a nearby airbase or jet engine testing plant. I'd like to look into it a bit more and I imagine the vsn and vin would help...I just need the vsn.

6man71

Post by 6man71 »

The V.I.N should be on the title that shows you own the vehicle or on a old license card,at least that is the way it is in minnesota. clay

scottie8door

Post by scottie8door »

look in the pass side wheel well, on the side of the frame rail, between the axle and back of the wheel well. the vin is stamped into the frame rail. not much info in the vin other than model, cylinders, plant, and seq number. vin tag tells you more.

scottie

tommythecat2012

Post by tommythecat2012 »

Ron's Wiring -- they're expensive, but worth it. I completely rewired my '68 A100 (with a new 360, electronic ignition, electric fan, etc. -- not being much of an electrician, I was pleased the instructions were so easy to follow. Check 'em out:

http://www.ronfrancis.com[/i]

A100GEORGE
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by A100GEORGE »

It's not that hard to remove your harness in one piece spread it out on a sheet of plywood. Staple the ends down and split the wrap open. then lay new wire of the same size and color alonge side each wire. add ends and tape. not hard. Use GOOD ends and GOOD tape.
GEORGE!!