A100 Van engine swap

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
cycledog

A100 Van engine swap

Post by cycledog »

Greetings,
Can anyone tell me what I need to swap a 360 into a 66 A100 van that currently has a slant??

C-Dog :usa

cowboy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by cowboy »

C-dog, you should be able to just pull your /6 & drop in the 360 , just the right side steel mount on the 360 needs to be off set to fit right , so you will need the V8 steel mounts that bolt right to the block , the rubber mounts should be the same ( they are on my 66-71 both /6& 318p & 318la) hopes this helps you
:usa
cowboy Alvin Tx
67 w100 318 3spd
2005 Ram 2500 CC Diesel 4x4 lwb
LAND OF THE FREE
BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

scottie8door

Post by scottie8door »

c-dog, you will also need to change the drivers side frame bracket from a v-8 donor. the v-8 bracket is about 3" shorter, or cut your frame bracket to fit.
they bolt to the frame. you did not say what trans you were going to use. if you have an auto and your van is 65/68, it should have the v-8 trans and 6-cyl adapter plate. remove the adapter plate,flex plate spacer(hang on to flex plate(rare))and you'll need a converter for the 360 (balancing). late 69/70 6-cyl trucks had a 727 trans with the belhousing for a 6-cyl, short tailshaft, with eyebolt hanger, real hard to find. you'll need tochange throttle linkage too.
i run a 68 van 383,727,4.57 @ 12.50 @ 112 mph.

but being able to spin tires at will, priceless.

scottie

cycledog

Post by cycledog »

Ok, now that you've got my attention. What do I have to do to put in a big block???

C-Dog :usa

scottie8door

Post by scottie8door »

well now your talking, and haulin a_ _.you'll still need the v-8 frame bracket to install a big block. you'll also need a set of big blk truck motor brkts. i never found any brkts or mtr mounts that would line up, so this is where the fab comes in to play.
first you need to setup your 727 short tailshaft trans from the a100 with a big block case. put motor trans in place for correct allignment and level.the motor brackets need to be split in two. bolt the top pieces back on the block and the bottom half to the rubber. they should overlap 3/4' to 1", weld back together. install set of pickup truck headers and all fits under the dogbox.

scottie

!!!WARNING!!! this may cause front wheels to not want to remain on the ground.

cycledog

Post by cycledog »

I like it : :clap :clap

Post by Guest »

A somewhat eccentric musician had us install a 440 in his '66 A-100. The windowless van was used for hauling his sound equipment to gigs all over the desert southwest and the poor little 273 was just plumb worn out . We tried to talk him down to a small block or even a 383 but he was stuck on the 440 and wasn't budging . We aquired a complete '68 440 from a wrecked CHP cruiser and set about stuffing it under the doghouse . The trans extension swap was the easiest part of the whole deal , we had to fab a crossmember to go under the front mounts to carry the added weight and torque , the cooling system was a bear and it never did cool well in city traffic . It was however a real sleeper and blew the minds of many an unsuspecting street"muscle" car driver of that era.