swap throttle linkage for cable

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
bobs van

swap throttle linkage for cable

Post by bobs van »

Any suggestions swapping the throttle linkage for cable? The Van is a 68 A100 with a 340 and holley carb.

tommythecat2012

cable vs. linkage...

Post by tommythecat2012 »

Hi Bob,
I recently "re-joined" the forum -- it's been a few years since I've contacted anyone. I got too busy to do anything on my '68 A100 so it's just been sitting, but I'm getting it painted (finally) as well as having some mechanical issues dealt with -- one of which is the throttle.
I swapped the 225 slant for a 360 and the manual tranny for a 3-speed auto (overdrive to follow) , and put block-huggers and a 650 4-barrel on it. Needless to say, it's been a challenge getting the right throttle configuration.
It took forever to find a cable long enough, for one thing, and then when I finally did, the thing's so long, the housing actually compresses gradually, which GREATLY reduces the response and range of motion in acceleration.
I looked around briefly for something a little more rigid (I thought perhaps a marine supply house would have something) but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. The throttle still works, but it doesn't accelerate like I know it should, and if you're looking for a tire-smoker, it's just not gonna cut it.
If you do decide to go with a cable, just make sure the housing is nice and rigid... non-compressible, if possible. I imagine you want some level of performance out of the throttle, so really do your homework before you settle on anything. I'll keep you posted if I find anything, and if you'll do likewise, I'll greatly appreciate it. Good luck

69a100

Throttle cables

Post by 69a100 »

I got mine from these guys. As when changing anything on these beasts, you have to do some frabrication. But it wasn't alot. I forget what lenght I went with, but it works fine for me. Good Luck. http://www.gokartsupply.com/thcable.htm