big block

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
BV1320
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Windsor, ONT

Re: big block

Post by BV1320 »

Rodger wrote:Hola Class

Going back to the 318 engine story. If one is to use the factory LA 318 heads that have an cast number ending with 302 from any Mopar LA 318 engine newer than 1987 to the start of the Magnum era for $50 from the local pick & pull, then what ???

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Depends on what you want /need. Performance wise stainless valves , matching valve train components for cam used and find a reputable cyl head shop and porter. Porting should consist of dissasemble,hot tank,mag for cracks , bowl blend , gasket match, valve and guide work required. If more serious porting is desired then port profiling and valve guide relieving and flow bench check would be in order. Some of this stuff gets rather expensive and yields rather small returns and quite frankly headaches when street driven ... so it's safe to say not needed. There are cyl heads such as Indy and W series that are more suited for big power but at the same time they are not street friendly ( idle and bumper to bumper driving) . Edelbrocks are a decent upgrade but are limited with the same narrow intake port that plagues stock style heads. Not to get anyone wound up and on the offensive but there are choices and your budget should be guided by what kind of use you need any of these heads to do... Race parts dont tow and tow parts dont race ... or something like that ... lol :lol:

69a100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 69a100 »

Let's be honest here shall we! If you surf the net for Hot Rod reciepes for a 318, you will find that you can build a junk one to get 400hp for about 3k, I think it was MoparMuscle mag, surf around!
With a stroker kit, you can make a 408 from a teen. It alot less hassle doing mods to make a bigger engine to fit and work when you can work from this inside out instead of outside to larger.

440SCOUT
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: reno nv
State: NV

Post by 440SCOUT »

broke
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: AR

Post by broke »

Hoping someone can help me figure out what type of truck I have; on the outside of truck is says A100, but the vin decifer says it's a D100! I'm new to the sight and am not sure where to go or how to ask certain things . Any help would be appreciated. I am desperate to locate a front drum for my 70 dodge truck, the size is 11 1/4 to 11-1/2 ---- brake shoe meas. 2-1/2 thick. :banghead Thanks for any info, broke

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

broke wrote:Hoping someone can help me figure out what type of truck I have; on the outside of truck is says A100, but the vin decifer says it's a D100!
http://www.allpar.com/model/littleredwagon.html If it looks like the truck at the link it is an A100.

http://cssregistry.com/css/66D200CSS-CS_TSouder.html If it looks more the the truck in this link then it is a D100.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

A & D doesn't even look the same, their are numerous pictures here of D's such as these are D's
Attachments
ColoradoCruise2007 071.jpg

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Plant City Person

I was just re-reading the first post from you. It seems we all missed answering your questions. The MoPar 400 came out in 1972 vehicles. It stayed until the end of the 1978 production year. This engine appeared in 1958 as 350 cubes. Not much longer it became the 361 and the 383. This means that an 1958 350's crank, rods, cam and many other parts will directly fit. Or the same part number items of the 383 will fit the 400.

The 1965 318 is an poly 318. It is not as light as the newer LA 318. But an LA 273, 318, 340 or 360 will fit into your designed engine space with out using big hammer's or the like.

Your A100 will get more present attention and respect if you keep it an poly 318. If at some time you want to trade or sell it, the poly will help move the vehicle than you having an 383, 400, 413, 426 or 440, or an LA 318, 340 or 360.

If you just have the local neighbor hood muffler shop use exhaust tubing that is the same in-side diam as your exhaust manifolds to the mufflers and then to the rear, you will be pleased. While they are under the vehicle have them implace an "balance tube" at the space behind the oil pan, The longer the muffler "can" the better it will sound three months later. You may get an idea of the short muffler's audio quality by riding in an under-ground parking lot or anything of this sort.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt