big block

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
fasttruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: plant city fl

big block

Post by fasttruck »

I was wondering if anyone here has heard of a A100 with a 400ci motor..I am a chebbie man and when I heard of a 400 mopar that was news to me...any help

Dodgeitis
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: big block

Post by Dodgeitis »

The only V8's available from the factory were 273's & 318's.

You can install a 400 or 383 in the engine dog house ( 440 will go with some modification) without modifying the dog house, but it is a tight fit. The big blocks put the exhaust really close to the sides of the dog house, thus very hot......

I'm putting a new 402 crate motor in my pickup this Winter if all goes well.......

fasttruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fasttruck »

thanks for the heads up...oddly enough I just bought a parts van on ebay within the last 10 minutes and it just happens to have a 318, auto, and a decent tailgate...sweet...
I just dropped a crate motor in my other pick up...a ZZ502 on juice...sick bastage I am

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Dodgeitis wrote:You can install a 400 or 383 in the engine dog house ( 440 will go with some modification) without modifying the dog house, but it is a tight fit.
Not trying to start anything, but 383, 400, and 440 are all the exact same size (on the outside obviously).
Doug

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Post by Oldguy »

Actually, the 440 is taller which makes it wider at the valve covers thus making it tight in the dog house. Other than that they are pretty much the same size. Mike
Remember, if you run out of projects, you die!
http://pics.livejournal.com/mikescars/

fasttruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fasttruck »

being it has a '65 truck block I am told sonic testing will reveal if it can indeed be made into a 340...I can only hope cause thats what I'd really like...find some sweet heads and port/polish and we have hipo heads...any suggestions for fairly common but good flowing heads to look for...I'm not looking to drag the truck but to have a potent plaay truck

LC
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by LC »

LC from PA if looking for heads for 318 try Aerohead in Indy http://www.aeroheadracing.com 2 heads ,1.88 intake 1.60 exhaustS/S newsprings and keepers bronze guides Iused these heads on my 318 rebuilt this summmer on my 1970 D100 Adventurer use the 340 cam1968 ,windage tray in oil pan valley tray for lifters and match port the intake and exhaust use manifold from 360 2bbl,4bbl and dual exhaust 2,1/4" this combo should make your little A run sweet also mpg will go up some Hope this helps keep posting on how things are going :salut :salut :salut :study :study

LC
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by LC »

LC from PA forgot $$$on heads $399.00 pair plus shipping nocores needed :salut :salut

fasttruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fasttruck »

399 for a pair of heads with no core isn't half bad compared to the big block chebbie heads I use...this seems to be a really fun truck to play with...I'll try and download a photo of my current project
Attachments
goliathlate06 003.jpg

fasttruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fasttruck »

this is the rest of it...
Attachments
goliathlate06 004.jpg

LC
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by LC »

LC from PA Fast truck nice Chevy why not drop abig block MOPAR in it and really make a statement :lol: :lol: :lol: if you need any info on engine rebuilting or parts ##### give me a PM or Email

fasttruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fasttruck »

swapping a big block mopar for my 502 would be backing up don't ya think...ahahahaha...thanks for the offer on the mopar help...I will surely need assistance due to my lack of mopar knowledge and will take you up on the offer...

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

fasttruck wrote:swapping a big block mopar for my 502 would be backing up don't ya think...ahahahaha...
CHEBBY<MOPAR :moom
Doug

fasttruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fasttruck »

:shame I thought we were all big boys here...

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

you were confused, step up, not backing up :shame but it is OK truck, I like the sound of the heads, I take it from the sound of it LC those are cast iron???
That is also a good build on the 318, you seemed to get it exact :salut

fasttruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fasttruck »

I have a question for you A100 fellows...is it easier to lift the truck off the powertrain or poke a hoist into the cab and lift the iron out thru the door...thats a good place to start as this is one of my first chores in the scheme of things...theres a mopar only swap meet north of me this weekend and I am looking forward to learning about these creatures...

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Hola Class

Going back to the 318 engine story. If one is to use the factory LA 318 heads that have an cast number ending with 302 from any Mopar LA 318 engine newer than 1987 to the start of the Magnum era for $50 from the local pick & pull, then what ???

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Rodger & Gabby Colo Spgs 47 De Soto S-11, Loaded 62 Imperial Crown Cpe w/62 Lic Plates, 63 Le Baron w/63 Lic Plates, 66 Le Baron, 70 W100 SWB Loaded Custom, 70 Overlander-Internatioal Dbl, 77 D Shorty 2 x 4, 360,NP, 12 bolt

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Roger
What about the heads ending 302?????? :study

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Post by Oldguy »

To answer the original question, I prefer going thru the doors. Some of the earlier vans you could remove the front grill and take it out that way but I don't remember which years. Any way you do it ...it ain't easy! LOL Good luck! Mike
Remember, if you run out of projects, you die!
http://pics.livejournal.com/mikescars/

BV1320
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Windsor, ONT

Post by BV1320 »

fasttruck wrote:being it has a '65 truck block I am told sonic testing will reveal if it can indeed be made into a 340...I can only hope cause thats what I'd really like...find some sweet heads and port/polish and we have hipo heads...any suggestions for fairly common but good flowing heads to look for...I'm not looking to drag the truck but to have a potent plaay truck
No can do on this one ... Same stroke crank but waaaaay not there for overbore. 318 at .060 is max and not really recommended. Simpler to go with 4"crank in the 318 block... 390 cubes of pure fun :dance and you get to tell them it's only a little 318 ... lol on the heads swirl port with a polite ride through the ports with a grinder releases a better flowing head per $ spent. Cams... big subject , use, daily driver, mileage, perf ... well you get the picture. BTW... nice truck and nice combo ... 502 with giggle gas ... but always somebody going faster tho :thinking :salut