V8 conversion

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
fasttruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: plant city fl

V8 conversion

Post by fasttruck »

I am currenly working on a 64 A100 and am wanting to convert to a V8 with an auto tranny. Does anyone have the casting number for the right tranny that will bolt onto an early small block...thanks...I am also looking for the auto shifter which mounts on the dash...I owned a new 69 back in the day and I am tripping on this truck, kinda like a time warp

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Re: V8 conversion

Post by mopardwh »

What do you mean by casting number? Seems like you would be wanting a 904... which could be found in anything from an old Dart to late 80's Diplomat.
Doug

fasttruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fasttruck »

sorry for the confusion doug, but yes, I want to know the part number for the tranny that has a short tailshaft that fits in these applications...I found a helpful person online but he doesn't know trhe exact tranny/tailshaft numbers I will need to make this happen...the 904 is what a friend suggested but I have heard that there are different versions...do you happen to know if I need anything more that a factory shifter and cable to convert to the original style automatic dash shifter...I am refering to transmission attachment brackets or under dash components...I think I know where I can find one and wanted to know what I need to look for...thanks

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Ahhh... yeah I guess you would want the shorter tailshaft. I bet you could make the longer one work though, but you would have to shorten the driveshaft.
Doug

fasttruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fasttruck »

I see this isn't your first rodeo...I have been building chebbie SS big block cars for going on 20 years now and I am back to my roots with a mopar...do you know what the part number is on the short tailshaft 904 by chance...I would prefer to not alter the shaft that is currenly in the truck...I am wanting nothing more than to upgrade to a v8 and an auto tranny

Dodgeitis
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dodgeitis »

The A-100's never used the 904 tranny. The only auto's used were the 727's with short tail shafts and a special eyelet on top that the tranny hangs from.

I'd be leery to use any tranny other than the factory setup as the drive shaft is incredibly short to begin with....

Dodgeitis
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dodgeitis »

additionally, there were two different 727's used.

The earlier ones used a 2 cable system whereas the newer one used a single cable setup....... if you score a factory tranny you''l need to be sure to get a matching shifter because if my memory serves me, you can not mix and match them.

fasttruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by fasttruck »

bought the whole darn van on ebay just a while ago...got all the pieces I need now...just gotta go get it and begin the teardown