steering conversion

This area is for the A100 truck and van Enthusiast!
arvadamopar

steering conversion

Post by arvadamopar »

I have a 69 100 p/u. It's a 1/2 ton, 2wd. So, of course, it has manual steering. I need to change it to power. I've checked into kits from parts stores, but they are cost prohibitive.

I've talked to guys who say it can be done with a combo of parts from a Chevy and Ford. We've checked some 4wd with leaf springs. Looks like it could help?

My wife and I have rebuilt a couple of A-bodies from bumper to bumper, and we love doing projects, going to the yards and all of that. So, any info on a project like this will be greatly appreciated. It will save $$$ and my poor, aching arms! (ha ha)

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Re: steering conversion

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Toyota conversion right now is the fastest and easiest conversion, come off a straight axle toyota truck, the yota yard downtown has them :study

IRISH70
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by IRISH70 »

In response to MountainMoparMan (Robin).......Phil in Longmont, @ work with idle time. The steering conversion, using Toyota with power steering gear from straight axel vehicle......what year of Toyota? Also I am back at Blakes (older Toyota pu's and parts available) where I have access to search. I know you are working on this conversion, might do same to my 70. Give me some details on your progress/search on this conversion. You know my personal e-mail; if I can be of help for footwork in this project, let me know. Be glad to help anyone else with same interest, also.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Wow, Ok its from 80-84 2wd, these years have a straight axle, would need everthing, pitman arm, gearbox, hoses, and pump, cost is the first priority :Thumbsup Irish70, we should do a mock up for your truck first, I've come across an American change, to a Dodge Box out of Van, the gear box also sits on the inside of the frame, but I'm going to take the front end down for aerodyanamics and handling, lookin at about 5" drop, and to accomplish this I'm probably going to have change to cross arm steering setup, but we could do yours :salut by the way I've got the tilt steering wheel for my truck sittin on the patio :Thumbsup

Ozdrums
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lynn, MA

Post by Ozdrums »

I know this is an old thread but I recently found this forum. I have a 1965 A100 pickup and want to know more about the rack and pinion setup and want to get rid of the front leaf springs. The question was always how can the steering be coupled to the rack due to the position of the forward mounted steering box. It looks like the Toyota setup may work. Can anyone tell me about it? Has it already been done? Does the Toyota 90 degree box mount in an area that is compatible with the rack etc? Any pictures? Any info will help.

Thanks for having this great forum.
Greg

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

sounds like you need to talk to these people http://www.fatmanb\fab.com they have a IFS with rack that should fit :Thumbsup

Ozdrums
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Ozdrums »

MountainMoparRobin thanks for the response, but I called these guys a month or so ago after seeing a post on another forum claiming that they have a IFS and rack system for these trucks. I spoke to a guy at Fatman that said that they have no parts or info available for A100 trucks. I was surprised to hear that as the post seemed promising that they did.
Even with a IFS setup the problem area is still the steering configuration to the rack as the steering box is mounted so far forward as I'm sure you know. Do you have any other Toyota info that I saw in the prior posts here?
I would like this truck to be a great handling, low to the ground, take anywhere driver.
Thanks for any and all help.
Greg

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Greg
when you talk to them refer to the width of the frame, the first few D100's couldn't go by the model of the vehicle, but the width of the frame, also if you can get to a salvage yard look at some of the Vans and Trucks (Dodge) and you may see something else that won't need too much work to get in, what is your opinion on cutting the frame?

Ozdrums
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Ozdrums »

mountain man robin
Thanks again for the response - You refer to D100 for the vehicle - I am working on an A100 if there is a difference.
I am not opposed to cutting the frame as necessary If it is to fit a crossmember based independant front suspension.
Again my big question is not so much the suspension but after adding it how do you engineer the coupling of the steering shaft to the rack as the original box is so far forward. Is the steering box on that Toyota LE van setup usuable with their rack/pinion for the conversion?
Thank again
Greg

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

sorry,
the Toyota box is similiar to ours, so it bolts in to the same spot, but if you go an alternative route, then all the steering couplings, slider arms, adaptors, and etc check out http://www.webrodder.com/index.php?page=largeAd&SID=34
and your right A100 will be a little different, I apologize for not keeping that in mind :pale

Ozdrums
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Ozdrums »

MMR - so I am okay in my thinking that going the Toyota LE van steering box & rack is the easier route to follow after
suspension mods are made. Has anyone on this forum actually made this swap and could share any info? That for all the help.
Greg

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

One I know of for sure, he posted pictures here on this forum, HighDessertDodge either look for his post or do a search and see, he hasn't been on the site for about 1 year, you may be able to email him :Thumbsup

Ozdrums
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Ozdrums »

MMR
Thanks for the info, but I have been unable to find his info thru the searches so far.I'll keep looking - if anyone comes across any info, please post it.
I would very much appreciate any help.
Thanks
Greg

Codger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: GA

Post by Codger »

Greg,

Where did you hear about the Toyota LE rack and pinion swap?

I’m unfamiliar with A 100 steering. Is your pitman arm on the outside of the frame, like this:

http://upload7.postimage.org/116522/photo_hosting.html

Does your pitman arm swing forward when you turn right and aft when you turn left?

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Codger
is that a ford box?

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

Ozdrum,
I may not have fully understood your post, the only forum person lookin at the van box was me, I looked at the pullnsave lot and it seemed to be a crossover steering upgrade that would eliminate bump steer. I don't have a garage to do the swap and now one here has done it either, however the A100 is setup similiar to the vans so this may be an option for you :Thumbsup

Codger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Codger »

Robin,
Yes, I think it is a Ford box. I robbed the picture from, I think, digdoug’s thread? I can’t find it again right now to see for sure.

I was thinking Ozdrum maybe got rack and pinion crossed up with steering box and I was going to direct him to that thread... But I'll have to find it again now. It was called "Power Steering - This is how I did it" or something like that.

There are 3 or 4 good threads on power steering if you're not dead set on rack and pinion.

Ozdrums
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Ozdrums »

MountainMoparRobin and Codger,
I thought the post by MountainMoparRobin earlier in this thread (Oct) about a Toyota box was a similar to the Toyota box AND rack and pinion swap I read about in the Deora project build up. The guy that's trying to replicate that show truck is using a Early (80-84) Toyota LE van steering box and rack and pinion with power. I'll provide the link so you guys can see what I'm talking about. It's pretty interesting stuff. I figured MountainMoparRobin was referring to the same type of post - I jumped the gun and I guess you guys were referring to a box swap. Go to page 6 on this A100 build up for the Deora
and check under the "rack and Pinion" heading. Click on the picture on the right under that heading to see under the front of the Toyota "donor" van. It has a forward mounted steering box thats a 90 degree in and out withe a steering shaft the couples the rack and pinion gear. This is the setup I thought you guys were referring to when I read the posts. Again i think we were talking apples and oranges. My fault - I got too excited hoping someone had already completed this swap.
I would like to do this swap if feasible. My goal was a lowered A100 with rack and pinion (power or not), independant front suspension, good handling , no bump steer and comfortable steering column position. I'm not asking for much HUH!!!
Sorry for the long post - I know I've rambled but wanted to "steer" this straight with you guys. Let me know what you think of this idea. Here is the link to the Deora build:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal ... &reverse=1

Codger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Codger »

Ozdrums wrote: Here is the link to the Deora build:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal ... &reverse=1
That’s an interesting project. At first I thought he was a lunatic but he seems to know what he’s doing!

I have no idea why, but on page 11 he decides that the rack and pinion is “needlessly complicating the entire effort” and mounts an S-10 power steering box and uses the original steering arms like everyone does with the D-pickups. He doesn’t say why but I have to assume it’s colossal. He certainly isn’t afraid of chopping and cutting and he’s already reduced a fairly decent van to a pile of parts.

It sounds like he means the steering shaft between the rack and the 90* steering box is too short... But I don’t know why that would queer the deal. I don’t think mounting it to the axle would be a nightmare. The width of the rack was probably off, though. By the time he got done he would have 3 grafted steering pieces. The ends of the rack would have to be made to fit the Dodge spindle arms also.

It might be worth a try if you had, or could get, the parts easily. But he had the parts and the job part-way done when he quit. After seeing all that he did, I’d want to talk to him before I put too much work into it.

Ozdrums
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Ozdrums »

Codger,
Thanks for the reply - I thought the same thing about him when I first saw that project. Mopar Muscle did a short piece about it in the current issue. Any other ideas to make this happen? Thanks for the input.
Greg