What problems might I have changing my 70 W100 dana 44f to .

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Gordo70W100

What problems might I have changing my 70 W100 dana 44f to .

Post by Gordo70W100 »

Hello everyone I am new to this sort of thing and was curious if anyone out there has changed there front axle in their sweptline to one from an 1984 dodge half-ton. I have the chance to pick one up for a bargain...$250 been rear ended but the front end is fine. Would desperately like to have the disc-brakes and the powersteering in my 70 W100. Is there any thing I should know before I purchase this truck? I don't mind having to slightly fabricate in order to make it work, just don't want to dive in totally blind. All info will be appreciated.

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

Welcome to the forum! It will bolt up to the springs ok, drive line and shock mounts maybe. The pitman arm is all wrong for the stock steering box location. You may have to use the brake master cyl. from the donor truck. I have an 1981 D44 8 lug front axle setting on the garage floor and I've stared at it and my 67 W200 alot. I think with my fabrication skills the steering issue could be solved with the stock box. I would have to change to a dual master as the 67 has the single non power master. My truck has new brakes and stops good, so I'll probably replace the felts so it keeps the oil in the knuckles and run it.

Don

Gordo70W100

Post by Gordo70W100 »

Thanks for the insight POWWAG. You said that it would work except for the pitman arm is all wrong for the stock box. Couldn't I just use the powersteering unit instead? Or does it mount so differently that I couldn't fab it in place?

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

1972 and up have the box forward of the axle. The Sweptline series have it rear of the axle. If you wanted to make a mount to put it in the 84 location you could work it out. You may encounter bump steer because of the shackle being in the front.

Don

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

My 71 was converted with an 86 front end. I am still trying to figure out exactly how the previous owner did it. The 71 has the drad lin kbehind the axle, and the 86 has it in front. Mine has the link in the front, but the steering box is in the 71 position. It doesn't look like anything has been fabricated, looks like it is all stock parts bolted on.

I am hoping to pull it apart this winter and figure out what was done and rebuild it.

Here is an underneath shot.