custom pitman arm sources?

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

custom pitman arm sources?

Post by digdoug »

This weekend I had some good wheather and free time,so I started working on a power steering setup for my W 200.I am using a box out of a 85 ferd.I got the brackets to mount it figured out. :dance It was way simpler then I thought.I used 2 brackets instead of one,and needed NO modification to the box at all.I used the front two original mounting holes,and drilled two holes in the top part of the frame that turns up to go around the stock box,to mount the rear bracket.
Now the hard part;I think the stock pitman is 1/2 too short to get stop to stop steering,also it would need work to get it to line up correct.Its too bad the prototech stuf is unavailable,as it is perfect.
Does anybody know a source for a 6"center to center or longer, straight pittman arm to fit the ferd power steering box? :thinking

Floorguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Floorguy »

Other than your local machine shop making you anything you want, I wouldn't know where to go. As far as the protech kit goes, I was lucky enough to find a complete kit on e-bay last year. The pitman arm looks profesionally machined. Nice kit. Good Luck on yours & more power to you for doing it your way. :Thumbsup

Fieldbeater
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Fieldbeater »

You may need to make one out of two. I know people don't think welding steering stuff is a good idea, but if done right, it's safe. The arms are forged steel, so it can be welded.
Travis..
05 Volvo S40, T5, 6spd, AWD
01 Mustang Bullitt GT
91 W250, Cummins, 5spd
88 Jeep, rock crawler in training
71 D100 318, 4spd
70 GTX 440, 4spd (basket case)

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

I'd like to try to find something that works,instead of building it.It looks like early jeep and broncos pitman arms are indexed right(in line with the arm}but I dont know thier sector shaft size,or length.I need it to be 1 1/8".

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

I took about an hour today with a 3sided file,and filed a groove down the center of the 4 large indexing splines on the 85 ferd pittman arm.Now I can index the arm as I please. :clap Is seems that even though the ford arm is slightly shorter than the stock W200 arm ,there is still enough travel to steer stop to stop. :dance :dance

Now I need to get working on the steering column.

Doug