4x4

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!

4x4

Post by 1100 »

I have a 69d100 I turned it over to a 4x4 ,318LA np435 w/ a201 divorced TC. I want to put in a 440 W/ a 203TC. the axels came from a 67W200.is theTC a full time 4x4, will it screw up the axels

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

The 203 is a full timer. I personally don't care for them but a lot of people like them.

What transmission are you using with this combo? If it's a TF727 and NP203 that's already bolted to the 440 I'd sell that stuff and find a B/RB 727 shorty (short tailshaft with a fixed yoke). Then you can use your existing T-case, drivelines, TC shifter. All you would have to fab is the trans cross member if you can't find one. Other cost would be Trans/TC drive line and a shifter for the Trans. You have to remove the bell housing cross member for the 727 to fit.

Staying with the 4spd means finding the bell for your truck. I haven't owned anything newer than a 67 with a stick so I'm not familiar with when the bells changed. I think a 69 is the mechanical bell which is a little easier to find.

Don

440 crank

Post by 1100 »

I see your list of trucks and is the ( 67 w200 440 4 spd ) crank end drilled for a manual input shaft? or is it (I belive) a forged crank . I have a late model 440 w/ a cast crank, not drilled for a manual trans. I heard a story about cutting off a section of the tip of the input shaft and it will still use the original pilot bearing, the bellhousing is going to be HARD to find . ya thanks for the idea's

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

It's a 69 steel (forged) crank motor and was factory drilled. Someone has one of those bells and flywheel for sale on this forum but I thing they were asking $450.00 I had to buy a whole truck to get my bell (hydro) but I parted the truck and ended up with my parts for free.

Don

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

Hey- I have every thing you need for your truck's big block conversion- It's a '69 440 (supposedly balanced and blueprinted) w/ an aluminum intake, AFB carb, aluminum valve covers, and a set of crusty headers. It's bolted to the correct '69-'80 big block bell housing (setup is in a '73), has the flywheel, and is even mated to a good NP435 trans. The motor has been sitting in an old beater parts truck, and I haven't done anything to it or looked at it except changing the oil and plugs- was sitting for 5 years and needs the complete tuneup as it still misses pretty good. I looked up your other posts and found your area code and it appears you're in so. cal- I'm located just south of portland, OR, but am making a trip to sacramento this next week (15/16)... so, if you're interested, let me know and I'll pull it and put it in the back of my truck and get it closer to you. The price is fair- $800 for the whole setup, and it does need a clutch... also, it needs truck motor mounts as the ones on it are home-made :shame .
Last edited by powerwagoncrazy on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rukus

Post by Rukus »

No offense, but a 203 is a POS compared to the 201 and especially the venerable 205. Why do you think they went back to solid gears after trying out chain-drive? Those chains stretch, rattle, and break under loads that the gear-driven cases barely notice, and seem VERY sensitive to fluid levels. Bad things are posted on the net about those milemarker kits which allow the 203 to be part-time. Get a 205, they are undisputably the best transfercase.
ruk

Tufftruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

4x4

Post by Tufftruck »

powerwagoncrazy:
Any pics of the set up you have for sale? How does it run? How many miles on the engine? Is it in a 2wd or a 4wd? I am in Calif. and may be interested.