dodge 200 help

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
dana60matt

dodge 200 help

Post by dana60matt »

hello
i have a 1974 dodge that has 60,000 original miles but kids beat it all to hell with sledge hammers. anyway im wanting to put the axles in my 1972 chevy .
my ? is how do i tell what axles are in it ?
the rear is definately a 60 with 5500lb capacity and 4.10 gears but the front looks to be a 60 as well and i think so because of the spring mount bolt goes into the pig instead of a u bolt around pig or housing.
also truck is a factory plow truck with 360 and says power wagon on hood
any help would be great thanks

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Get the wire brush out and clean it up.It should have a 44,60 or 70 raised number cast into the webbing of the "pig". FYI the spring perches are 1"wider on a dodge than a chevy.Lots of guys do what you are doing, :shame but why not keep chevy with chevy stuff :thinking

dana60matt

Post by dana60matt »

i just made my 72 chevy a 4x4 and i had to widen the perches in rear 2 inches that is 1 inch per side but i'll have to look into it .
im doing the swap because i want hd axles in this truck and i have them but i'll look
im sure they are 60,s but im looking to the professionals for advise
thanks

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

ALWAYS go to a Dodge site for professional advice.
John

Rukus

Post by Rukus »

Dodge 86'd the axle u-bolts on the passenger side after 72 (when they changed to open knuckle). They all seem to have the odd-looking stud coming out of the pumpkin. Anybody have comments on this design? better or worse than u-bolts? can a longer stud be used for a taller spring pack? :study
I've got a 8-lug hd44f (unit bearing :banghead ) with that non-u-bolt design sitting in my garage that I'm not quite sure what to do with. Anybody have some 8-lug ch%$y knuckle-outs or want to trade?
Good axle if you don't have 38 mudders or do a lot of summer driving.
ruk

Jones
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Castle Rock/WA
State: WA

Post by Jones »

My 84 W150 has the stud bolts on the passenger side of that 44. I added 1 leaf with no problems. 2 Leafs would need longer studs though.

Just my :2cents

Let me know if you want a picture and I'll go snap one tomorrow.

Keith
62 D100
63 D100 (Parts)
64 D100
2012 Dodge 1500