Swapping axles

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
MikeMc
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Swapping axles

Post by MikeMc »

I have a complete Chevy 1 ton axle that I'm considering putting in my heavy beast. Anyways the guy who put the diesel engine in said those wimpy Chevy open knuckle axles are not nearly as strong as the Dodge closed knuckle :shame . The truck already has a Chevy power steering box in it so the axle would go in fairly easy. The Chevy axle is 4 inches wider. This will help to move those front tires out a little bit.

A few questions for the knowledgeable BB members.
1. Whats the weight rating on the Dodge closed knuckle Dana 70?
2. What's the weight rating for a Chevy 1 ton open knuckle axle and is this axle a Dana 60?
3. The previous owner claimed the power assist brake booster that came off a Chevy 1 ton solved the poor braking issues on the W300.
4. Would you guys install the Chevy 1 ton axle? It would be nice to have 8 lug axles on it.

Here is a picture of the 1 ton axles. http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/28310481157.jpg&s=x10
Thanks

Rukus

Post by Rukus »

Nice Pic! not.
Any ideas about the original truck? Dana axle models are almost always located on the gusset to the lower right of the diff cover (60F, 70F, etc). The bill of Materials stamped on the axle can be cross-referenced to find out exactly which vehicle it came out of. Google "dana bill of materials".
Good Luck
RuK

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Re: Swapping axles

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

I guess to start off answering this I'm gonna have to work from the bottom up.
MikeMc wrote:Would you guys install the Chevy 1 ton axle? It would be nice to have 8 lug axles on it.
Yes, it would be nice to have the 8 lug wheels on it, but IIRC, the Dana 70 is stronger than the 60. How much so, I dunno exactly. There was a Four Wheeler mag out a little while ago that had an article about axle strength in it. I'd refer to that, though I don't know where it is at the moment. (I just moved).

MikeMc wrote:What's the weight rating for a Chevy 1 ton open knuckle axle and is this axle a Dana 60?
It probably is a 60, but check the housing to verify. Sometimes it's stampped into the tube on top, sometimes it cast into the webs in the middle. Clean it up good and see.
MikeMc wrote:Anyways the guy who put the diesel engine in said those wimpy Chevy open knuckle axles are not nearly as strong as the Dodge closed knuckle.
In what I have seen, I would agree. But it also depends upon how you drive it and how you intend on using it. That motor is heavy and puts out alot of torque. If you are hard on it you're gonna be breaking things anyway. But if you aren't, and you don't intend on piling 5000lbs on it and flying down the road, the GM axles should be fine I would guess. But I'd hang onto the old axles if they don't hold up. That way you aren't down a rig for long.
Jeff Easterbrook
66 D100 440/727 on 72 IFS chassis
67 W200 440/4-sp. Resting
76 IH Scout II
81 MB 240D

http://www.jeasterbrook.usana.com

Frame swap Q & A guy :Thumbsup

reallylongnickname
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ottawa, Ontario
State: Foreign

Post by reallylongnickname »

I wonder how does the GM Hummer axle; Zexel-Torsen AMC 20, compare with the Dana70.