W200 DISK BRAKES!????

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Rukus

W200 DISK BRAKES!????

Post by Rukus »

Howders!

Ok, I've read everything I can find about converting my 68 W200 to disk brakes, but several things remain unclear. :thinking
Uglytruckling.com has a disk conversion listed for the w200, but then they say it won't work on the large-knuckle axle. I thought all swept w200s had the hd44 with large knuckles and 8-lugs. Their pictures even show an 8-lug. What Gives?

Anybody out there who knows if it's possible to get disks on the front axle of this beast? I realize Swapping to open-knuckles w/ ch$#y brakes is an option, but this axle has low miles and is in great shape cept for those darn drum brakes.
Thanks
Ruk

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

There were 2 closed knuckle DANA 44 axles you could
get with your W..... large & small. I have the large
knuckle under my '68 W200 and the small knuckle
under my '68 W100 & '67 W200. I personally haven't
heard of a disc brake kit that could be used on
the stock closed knuckle DANA 44 axles.... large or
small. Both the large and small knuckle axles on the
pre '69 W100's and '61-'71 W200's were 8 lug axles.
the one item I'm not sure on is whether or not you
could get the large closed knuckle DANA 44 axle on
a [pre-'69] W100 model.... knowing Dodge back then....
you probably could :thinking
John

MOPAT
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by MOPAT »

:thinking
OK, I give up how do you tell a large from a small
knuckle. By the gvw or measuring the dia of the knuckle itself?
My 68 w200 knuckles look pretty big to me but I don't have another rig to compare them with.
Is the info in the shop manual?
thx
Pat
68 W200 383/727 Dynatrac 35 spline 4.10 limited slip rear end
68 D200 CS {parts for the '68 W200}
71 D200 CS ADVENTURER{parting out
79 B200 van with 'crate' 360/360hp 3.23 Auburn limited slip
73 CJ5 304V-8 Metal Cab
"They ain't pretty But they're paid for"!

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

MOPAT wrote::thinking
OK, I give up how do you tell a large from a small
knuckle. By the gvw or measuring the dia of the knuckle itself?
My 68 w200 knuckles look pretty big to me but I don't have another rig to compare them with.
Is the info in the shop manual?
thx
Pat

The large knuckle measures @ 9 1/2" across the outside of the flange that the wiper seals mount to. Same size as the 70f uses but spindle mounting is different and tie rod is rearward on 70f.Ford also used the big knuckles on thiere early Hi boys 44 hdf. The small ones are the same size as early 44 chevys,jeeps,and just about every thing else under the sun.

dodgegrrrrrrl
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dodgegrrrrrrl »

Here's a qestion for you (on large knuckles) Can the outer ends from a 60's vintage W200 large knuckle 44F or 60's vintage W200 large knuckle 60F be plugged into the ends of a 60's vintage W300 D70F?

They only had two sizes, right? That's all I've seen on Dodges anyhow

The reason I ask is that I have that '61 W300 70F and a '68 W200 44F (yes, it is a BIG knuckle in a W200 crewcab so dodge DID do it pre-'69) with the big knuckles and want to get away from the big 6 lug pattern. Wondering about pulling the ends and swapping over
You also wrote that "the spindles mouth differently" can you 'splain?

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

dodgegrrrrrrl wrote:Here's a qestion for you (on large knuckles) Can the outer ends from a 60's vintage W200 large knuckle 44F or 60's vintage W200 large knuckle 60F be plugged into the ends of a 60's vintage W300 D70F?

They only had two sizes, right? That's all I've seen on Dodges anyhow

The reason I ask is that I have that '61 W300 70F and a '68 W200 44F (yes, it is a BIG knuckle in a W200 crewcab so dodge DID do it pre-'69) with the big knuckles and want to get away from the big 6 lug pattern. Wondering about pulling the ends and swapping over
You also wrote that "the spindles mouth differently" can you 'splain?
Wow! Thats a good question. A 44hdf outer knuckle may fit on a 70f housing. :thinking Here's where it gets sticky;the 44hdf uses different axles than 70f. How do you overcome this? I don't know.Do 60f inner shafts fit a 70f?I don't know.It might be worth checking out.

Here's what I do know; the 44hdf spindle is held on with 11 bolts {12 bolt pattern with top bolt missing]. The 70f spindle is held on with a larger 5 bolt pattern.

dodgegrrrrrrl
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dodgegrrrrrrl »

Wow! Thats a good question. A 44hdf outer knuckle may fit on a 70f housing. Thinking Here's where it gets sticky;the 44hdf uses different axles than 70f. How do you overcome this? I don't know.Do 60f inner shafts fit a 70f?I don't know.It might be worth checking out.

Here's what I do know; the 44hdf spindle is held on with 11 bolts {12 bolt pattern with top bolt missing]. The 70f spindle is held on with a larger 5 bolt pattern.

I wasn't thinking of changing the outer knuckle. I guess I wrote that wrong. I was thinking bearings, brakes, hubs, drums backing plates (if needed) and keep the 70F axles and locking hubs and spindles. basically swap everything between the locking hubs and the outoer knuckle or locking hub and backing plate, whichever was the least amount of work I could get away with. basically everything ouside of the spindles themselves. even bearings if possible, and just move them across. I don't know the diameter of he spindles though and don't know if the big knuckle 44 spindle is the same OD as the 70F spindle nor if the backing plates are the same. I'm going to have to pull two front ends apart, aren't I?
Can I cry?
They are in two different towns 35 miles apart. will have to pull one part and haul to the other town then pull the other apart. Crap.
I know I can take pix but they can be deceiving. Will ponder this for a bit..... :banghead

Rukus

Post by Rukus »

We're thinking along the same lines.
But seriously now, ABOUT THOSE DISK BRAKES...
I might consider just putting a booster on the drums (probably a good first step)
Anybody do this and happy with the results?
Anybody convert a large knuckle 44 to disk???
RUK

dodgegrrrrrrl
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dodgegrrrrrrl »

A friend of mine put a slighly later 60 under the front on his 68, then converted from drums to discs. He did have to change the master to a disc brake one and I believe he added a proportioner valve inline. I can check with him and get the specifics if need be

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

The 60f is a good diff. and a pretty easy swap,but they usally cost between $500and $1000.thats a lot of bread.
Ive got power brakes on my w200 driver and wasn't happy with the brakes until I did a complete rebuild on the front,including new drums.It was close to $500 but now it stops great.

Also dodgegirl,the spindles on a 70 are bigger and longer than on the 44. Sorry :pale

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Hoss »

Dodge grrrrrrl,
about the only thing you can do is find a 69-73 dodge 1 ton with the Dana 7o and swap out your 61s front. The hubs will interchange if all you want is the 8 lug but you'll have to swap the rear also to match. Do you want different wheels? Try the powerwagon IIs from Stockton Wheels. Might be cheeper than buying 2 axles.
Ken
68 W300 "Big John"
64 Belvedere 426 wedge 4 speed

Rukus

Post by Rukus »

120 views in less than 10 days!

Doesn't that suggest to somebody there might be money to make here?

Surely a disk brake mod has to be in the works somewhere...
ruk :study