ezsteer Power Steering Conversion.

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
DicksDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San Dimas/CA

ezsteer Power Steering Conversion.

Post by DicksDodge »

It seems there's a new player in the power steering world. ezsteer on the bay is selling bolt-on conversion kits. I've reached out to them about how they fit up because there are not pics of it mounted. If it seems doable, I'll pull the trigger and post some pics here. On this note, I didn't find them in a search here, has anyone had any dealings with them?
1970 W200 Camper Special 383/4sp.
2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab LB Cummins

DicksDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: ezsteer Power Steering Conversion.

Post by DicksDodge »

I've decided to keep this here and use it as the build thread for this system. If someone (mods etc) want to move it to the steering thread, let me know.

I received the kit today and have uploaded an unboxing video on YouTube. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1HvALo5qMg[/youtube]

It's currently 109F where I live so working on the truck today is out of the question. I'll make sure to take pics and videos and update here.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

I'm interested in how you make out. Have a 2009 Yamaha Rhino that I installed EPS on and absolutely love it. I read about some other EPS conversions in vehicles. Standard equipment in many new automobiles and trucks.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

DicksDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DicksDodge »

So far, I'm off to a bumpy start. The steering box bracket holes do not line up with the box. I sent him a message on eBay and he replied almost instantly and called (my wife's phone was listed for some reason). I called him back and he seemed genuinely concerned and is sending out a new bracket today. He said if that is not the issue, he will swap out the box.

GTEEO
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Timmins
State: Foreign

Post by GTEEO »

Nice kit. I'm also considering Power Steering. Keep us posted.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

is it the toyota box? i have heard bad things about a kit with toyota box. they got it all installed and the wheels wouldn't barely move because the box was too wimpy

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Kaegi wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:20 pm
is it the toyota box? i have heard bad things about a kit with toyota box. they got it all installed and the wheels wouldn't barely move because the box was too wimpy
That box is in my 66 D100 with the 6BT. It turns with ease! Doubt a W front end is any heavier than the 6BT, but bigger tires might be the problem?

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

dodgeboykim wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:46 pm
I'm interested in how you make out. Have a 2009 Yamaha Rhino that I installed EPS on and absolutely love it. I read about some other EPS conversions in vehicles. Standard equipment in many new automobiles and trucks.
I converted a customers F250 Highboy to EPS from a Prius and works great. It was pretty easy since the Ford steering shaft is long and box out front. Not sure where you would stuff it on a Swepty except under dash? I am doing one on a 1965 CJ5 now and it will be under dash with zero room so we will find out.
Andy

DicksDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DicksDodge »

Update.
Finally getting close. First off: Caution when dealing with ezsteer. Going back to the latest post, after sending the bracket back (at my expense) he realized it was incorrectly drilled. Of course. Then, even though it was his issue, he did not refund my shipping expense. Next, the pump bracket was useless for my truck. I have factory A/C and the bracket caused the pump top to hit the compressor. I had to make a template and have a new bracket fabricated. Moving on, the output shaft on the steering box is so long that it comes with spacers to keep the drag link in alignment. The problem is that this shifts the input shaft to the right so it does NOT align with the steering column. I had to purchase a CV joint (double U-joint) to allow for the offset. He includes a bearing to be used to center the steering shaft inside the column, but, of course, that's the wrong size. I had to, once again, have something fabricated to get it to work.

I noticed he is now selling a kit showing it works all the way up to '74. I reached out to him to see what changes he made to make it "Bolt On" and he said none. I replied that he may want to be careful advertising it like that because it is definitely NOT Bolt On. Funny....no reply after that.

My son and I are in the final stretch. Purchased my new steering wheel and I purchased an adapter that should get it right. After that, we need to set up fitment (because, you know, no adjustment on the column) then we will cut the column and shaft. That may happen this week.
Once it's all done, I'll make sure to post a lot of pics here.
After going through all of this, I now have enough knowledge that I could probably just find my own steering box and pump and build the system myself. Again, be very wary of dealing with ezsteer. I would have left negative feedback, but i waited too long.

BTW, for the future, here is the plan:
Replace leaf springs (4" lift)
Add adjustable, offset drag link. This will give me me the option of mounting the steering box without the spacers. I will be able to swap the drag link to the inside of the pitman arm to offset this. This setup will bring the input shaft on the steering box in line with the steering column.

Man, this is a lot of work for a "Bolt on" system.

DicksDodge
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DicksDodge »

And we have power steering.

I just spent about 15 minutes drafting a long drawn out explanation of how I finally finished this project. Then, I had to run off for a meeting (I'm at work tonight) and while I was gone I got timed out and lost the entire draft.

Long story made short, I finally worked with the owner and he supplied me with the correct 3/4 ton PS Box. After quite a bit more modifications, I finally got the system to work.

I may revisit this and create another draft, but similar to how I felt quite often during this way too overlong process, I just don't have the desire to write it all again.

Maybe I'll wait until I take some detailed pics.