Another axle question

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sarnia, ON

Another axle question

Post by DukePW »

Ok so I have searched the threads before and I'm hoping for some quick replies....
I have a 67 W100 and axels are hard to come by where I live, I'm looking for an axle swap to get discs. I have a line on a Dana44 disc front and Dana 60 rear off of a 89 ram (I don't want a Dana60 front). I remember on here people were saying look for Ram 81-84 front axles. But is there a reason not to get one off an 89?
Also, I believe the spring perches will fit but what about the shock mounts? Also will my 67 wagon wheels fit? The only mods I would need is to figure out the steering and brakes correct?
Thanks in advance
Scott

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Re: Another axle question

Post by Jim100 »

In good shape the drums are pretty good brakes in my opinion.
But the 80 to 84 or whatever dana 44 will be manual locking hubs without the center axle disconnect. Most prefer locking hubs.
Spring perches are good.
Shock tabs need to be cut off and moved to front of axle.
You need the u-bolt plates from the newer front axle. They can be hard to find sometimes.
The newer axles are probably 8 lug if a dana 60 involved? I don't know.
Disc front drum back master cylinder and a proportioning valve.
Is your closed Knuckle stock axle shot?

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

DukePW wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:49 am
Also, I believe the spring perches will fit but what about the shock mounts? Also will my 67 wagon wheels fit? The only mods I would need is to figure out the steering and brakes correct?
There are several good manufacturers of shock tabs and such. I have used WFO Concepts. Good quality at a fair price and very knowledgeable.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DukePW »

Yes I definitely want manual locking hubs, is that why they say up to 84? They stop being manual locking hubs?

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

Something like that. They started going with the disconnect front axle. I'm pretty sure one of those axles can be converted to hand locking hubs but you need to replace one of the shafts. There could be some later than that manual looking hub unit around but I thought it was a special order? Not sure.
Is your closed knuckle drum front unit shot?

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DukePW »

I have no idea what kind of shape my current front axle is to be honest. It's pretty rare to find an 8 lug D44 with discs and manual locking hubs where I live. I just thought I'd pick it up if it fairly easily converts. If not even tackling my front axle right now.
The guy said it's off of a 89 but It might be a bit of a franken truck. I'll see if I go there