NP205 Removal

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Danpd69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: ROCHESTER HILLS
State: MI

NP205 Removal

Post by Danpd69 »

Hello all,

Still relatively new to the world of Sweptlines, and have a question regarding removal of the NP205 on my 71 PW.

My NP205 is in pretty sad shape. She leaks terribly and I think the previous owner basically just ran it dry most of the time. That being said, surprisingly enough, my 4WD doesn't work! I am looking at removing the 205 and either having it rebuilt, or replacing it with another used unit. I have the repair manual, and it looks like the proper procedure to remove the t-case is to remove it while being attached to the cross member. Looking at my cross member it appears to be "riveted" to the frame. Am I supposed to just cut the rivets off to drop the cross member with the transfer case attached? If that is the proper course of action, can I use bolts to re-install the cross member?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: NP205 Removal

Post by Wildergarten »

Danpd69 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:47 pm
Looking at my cross member it appears to be "riveted" to the frame.
The rivets hold 4 brackets that function as hangars for the actual cross-member. There should be eight 7/16" UNF bolts between the cross member and the 4 hangars. Be careful not to lose the washers or nuts, as those are spendy as fasteners go.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org