NP201 Twin Stick Question

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Re: NP201 Twin Stick Question

Post by marklein »

My plan is to make a plastic strip with a set of grooves on either side of the strip for the plastic to slide in. Two with one for each stick sliding over one another. It's what they've been using in automatic shifters for a long time. Should seal ok, and the shifters only move a couple inches.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Re: NP201 Twin Stick Question

Post by Wildergarten »

marklein wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:13 pm
My plan is to make a plastic strip with a set of grooves on either side of the strip for the plastic to slide in. Two with one for each stick sliding over one another. It's what they've been using in automatic shifters for a long time. Should seal ok, and the shifters only move a couple inches.
For some reason, mine go through a much bigger arc than that. On The "Green" TrucK, they use every bit of that 8" longish slot in the transmission hump, which is why I decided that the sliding plate routine so common on automatics was out. I could drop some sheet metal to make that excursion shorter, but with the clearance to the NP435 tower being so tight, I'm not so sure. An aramid fabric bag open at the top and fastened to the hump might work though, especially since the body and shifter bracket are mechanically unitary. I might have something like that fabric laying around "somewhere" left over from my aerospace engineering days. If I could make something like that work, I'd blow off the need for a boot at all except for additional sound isolation. I could even fill the bag with 8mm spherical plastic balls as a sound insulator. The trick at that point would be the penetrations for the rods going to the NP201. A couple of flat fender-washers of 1/8 polyethylene sheet would take care of that nicely, even better would be a tophat on one side with a washer on the other. Staples and glue to stitch it together? I could even test it out on The "Green" TrucK to see if rats will develop a taste for kevlar.

Hmmmm.... I sure wish I could find those other three $(*$*&*!! t-case crossmember brackets (how does one lose three out of four brackets one took the time to blast and paint ?-?-? ). I'll probably have to use the one I have left to make an opposite handed template. I could then use the new bracket to hang the t-case under my cab body on my rolling work-stand since it's made from the frame of that wrecked W200 I had. Then I could test the whole setup in the shop.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org