2x4 to 4x4

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
HJS
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hillsboro
State: OR

2x4 to 4x4

Post by HJS »

I'm sure this conversation is out there and talked about already but here it is. I have a 70 d200 383 4 speed base model. I was originally planning on doing a pure restoration because it's a 1 of 1 special order truck, but I recently found out that I don't have to matching numbers motor so I figured why not my the truck of my dreams. So I have a Dana 44 and t-case for a w200 conversation and I know I need the cross member and drive shafts but what else do I need to look for?

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: 2x4 to 4x4

Post by 712edf »

Not much else, if the t-case has the shifter.

Does the Dana 44 have the same gear ratio & lug pattern as your Dana 60 rear? Will your steering link work or did the 44 include all that?

Don't forget to hook up the brake lines. :lol:

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

HJS
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hillsboro
State: OR

Post by HJS »

Yes theyou are both 4.10 gearing, altho the rear end is a sure grip and the front end isn't, don't know if that makes a difference. But it's a 70 3/4 front end same as my truck. And yes the front end has the steering components, I'll have to look for the t-case shifter

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Do you have the W200 pitman arm? I would verify that the "D" front springs are
correct. For pre-'69s, they're different.... that I do know. You should also
look into lift blocks for the rear spring/axle as well. I can't recall.... but there
might be some short ones used originally. You can't use pre-'69 blocks as
they're too tall.

You'll need a new rear rubber brake hose. You'll need to cut your floor pan
or find the correct one from a '69-'71 W100/W200.
John

quillc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Port Orchard
State: WA

Post by quillc »

Just did this on my kids truck (or more accurately, he did it and I acted as consultant). His is a 69 D100. We (I) bought a 67 W200 as a donor.

The D springs are different than the W springs. There is a stock lift block in the back. You have to drill out the holes in the shackel hangers to the next size for the rear. The drag link and pitman are different D vs W.

We had new longer brake hoses made to fit.

He used the divorced transfer case. His truck was originally a automatic and he wanted to keep it that way. We used a mid 70's short tail 727 from an extended cab truck to get the shorter tranny. Had a driveline shop shorten/modify the trans to transfer case driveshaft to fit. Worked fine.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

You'll need the bracket that mounts off the right side frame channel to support the shifter for the T-case. Mine needs them on both sides, as the other is for the PTO lever.

What year is your truck frame? My '69 has a T-case cross-member that is riveted to the frame while both of my '68 trucks have brackets riveted to the frame with the actual crossmember bolted to the brackets. If you need the dimensions for the mounting holes for the latter style, I just took those off my frame and might be able to post a sketch for you. Oh, and you'll need LOTS of grade-8 fine-thread bolts with hard washers and beefy lock washers. I'd just get full boxes of each.

Out of pure self-intereste, might I suggest you check the t-case mounting isolators as the rubber can be bad on those. If you find a source for those, please let me know, as I'm looking to replace about half of them.

My stock '68 W200s also both have "lift kits,' in the front a series of shims and in back a big cast iron block with an arm for the bump stop.

That's all off the top of my head, so now I get to feel enlightened. :welcome
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Wildergarten wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:15 pm
My stock '68 W200s also both have "lift kits,' in the front a series of shims and in back a big cast iron block with an arm for the bump stop.
This is the stock configuration for a pre-'69 W100/W200 Sweptline.
You'll find the parts in the appropriate parts book. :study

John