Capable Slant 6?

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Richardsville
State: VA

Capable Slant 6?

Post by Brudog »

Hello all.

I have not found much info on towing capacities, etc. With a Slant 6 in my W200 Crew Cab, is there any hope of ever pulling a camper, or a tractor / car on a trailer?

If my pipedream is to use the truck for these truck-like activities, what would you recommend? :thinking

Thanks,

Jim

Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Capable Slant 6?

Post by Brudog »

How much does it depend on the capacity of the rear axle? (Rear Axle is a 4.10 Ratio Dana / Spicer 60; Capacity = 5500 from the tag)

I apologize for the "dumb" questions, as I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to these things. Haven't really pulled anything with a truck before. My Silverado was used for loads of dirt, mulch and sand only.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Brudog wrote:Hello all.

I have not found much info on towing capacities, etc. With a Slant 6 in my W200 Crew Cab, is there any hope of ever pulling a camper, or a tractor / car on a trailer?

If my pipedream is to use the truck for these truck-like activities, what would you recommend? :thinking

Thanks,

Jim
There is hope.... but with 127hp at your disposal and a 4.10 gear, you'll probably have
a slow journey. I'm sure some here can help you out with GVW / GCVW information.
John

Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Brudog »

If upgrading is the recommended suggestion, I would like to hear folks' opinions on what power plant I should upgrade to. We will start by ruling out a diesel conversion at this point, as I know nothing about diesel engines and the conversion would probably be light years beyond my expertise level.

Are there any sufficiently-sized engines that would mount up directly to my New Process 435 transmission? Or no matter what, I will need to change transmissions as well? (And I probably know less about transmissions than I do diesel engines :banghead ) It will all be a learning experience...

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :salut

Jim

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Brudog wrote:If upgrading is the recommended suggestion, I would like to hear folks' opinions on what power plant I should upgrade to. We will start by ruling out a diesel conversion at this point, as I know nothing about diesel engines and the conversion would probably be light years beyond my expertise level.

Are there any sufficiently-sized engines that would mount up directly to my New Process 435 transmission? Or no matter what, I will need to change transmissions as well? (And I probably know less about transmissions than I do diesel engines :banghead ) It will all be a learning experience...

Any advice is greatly appreciated. :salut

Jim
Jim,
An A318 or LA318 would bolt right up to your current bell housing.
You would need the correct flywheel and probably a better radiator
to cool a V8 down. That would be the easiest option and it would
get you sufficient power/torque to do what you need to do. :2cents
John

Macros
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: london
State: SD

Post by Macros »

I apologize for the "dumb" questions, as I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to these things. Haven't really pulled anything with a truck before. My Silverado was used for loads of dirt, mulch and sand only.
สมัคร sbobet

abodyjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.jersey
State: NJ

Post by abodyjoe »

Thanks,

Jim

sure the slant can tow... just may only do 45mph doing it..:)

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

As Mentioned above look for a good LA 318. I had a slant six and went with a 318 and it was a pretty noticeable increase in performance and it was a bone stock mild LA 318.
jim

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Macros wrote:I apologize for the "dumb" questions, as I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to these things. Haven't really pulled anything with a truck before. My Silverado was used for loads of dirt, mulch and sand only.
สมัคร sbobet
Where is your question? :thinking

John

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Hobcobble wrote:
Macros wrote:I apologize for the "dumb" questions, as I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to these things. Haven't really pulled anything with a truck before. My Silverado was used for loads of dirt, mulch and sand only.
สมัคร sbobet

John
John, Macros quoted the OP.....

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Hobcobble wrote:
สมัคร sbobet

John
Macros is a spammer.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Thanks for the heads up you two. :Thumbsup

John

riffraff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newport Beach
State: CA

Post by riffraff »

Thanks,

Jim
As far as official Dodge specs, the below links to the 1969 Dodge Truck brochures I scanned should answer your questions. Not sure how well the specs work out in the real world, but I think Dodge put out honest info:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=37948

Let me know it the links are dead, as I know Dropbox recently made some changes that may have impacted the links.
Tom
1969 W100 383/435