What are the Factory Fluids To Run?

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
rispony
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: New York City
State: NY

What are the Factory Fluids To Run?

Post by rispony »

Hey guys, I've recently purchased a 64' W200 Crewcab with the 318 (pics coming soon) Anyways, the truck is new to me and although it runs, I want to go through and replace every single fluid before I take it on the road and the highway. Can anyone here tell me what weight the factory recommended for the engine, transmission, transfer case, and front and rear differentials? Any info would be amazing. Thanks!
1964 W200 Crewcab Longbed
1965 D200 Crewcab Shortbed
1981 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler
1982 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler
1985 Land Rover Defender 110

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: What are the Factory Fluids To Run?

Post by Hobcobble »

rispony wrote:Hey guys, I've recently purchased a 64' W200 Crewcab with the 318 (pics coming soon) Anyways, the truck is new to me and although it runs, I want to go through and replace every single fluid before I take it on the road and the highway. Can anyone here tell me what weight the factory recommended for the engine, transmission, transfer case, and front and rear differentials? Any info would be amazing. Thanks!
http://www.autobooksbishko.com

I'd suggest a Factory Service Manual. :idea :2cents [at the link above]
As for original fluids.... most likely SAE30wt motor oil, 90W gear oil for tranny, t-case and axles and
DOT-3 brake fluid for brakes and clutch. As for the knuckles on the front axle and your steering gear
box, I'd suggest a close inspection to see if any new fluids you add will not immediately seep out. :2cents
If this truck hasn't seen the road or a recent servicing.... you may find that it'll take a little more than
just replacing fluids before your maiden voyage. :pale How are the brakes?.... as in pulling the drums
and inspecting the shoes, wheel cylinders, return springs, etc.? :thinking I'm sure others will chime in
here for you as well. Best of luck! :Thumbsup
John

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Re: What are the Factory Fluids To Run?

Post by swptln »

I run 15W-40 Rotella in all my engines gas and diesel, definitely swap out your clutch to DOT 5 they are notorious for absorbing moisture, brakes your choice Dot 3, 4 or 5. As John mentioned check your front axle knuckles to make sure they will not leak with 90W, Axles, tranny and T-case use 90W.
As a little insurance grease your axle wheel bearings front and rear before adding your gear oil.
I replaced my clutch master and slave back in 2000 w/DOT5 and looks and works the same today.
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab