Want to 'modernize' my truck. O-dr. 5-speed & 4 wheel discs

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Cris
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Want to 'modernize' my truck. O-dr. 5-speed & 4 wheel discs

Post by Cris »

I've got 4:10 gears, hillbilly power steering conversion (done by p.o) and about to put in the stroked 360 (408 built for torque & pump gas). Trying to make this a reliable daily driver capable rig that would occasionally do towing duty.

Unconcerned about using newer stuff on my truck, I'm not out 'busting it up' on trails, do do (?) a two mile daily on non-paved dirt public-private un-maintained road. So I could lose the unbreakable stock transfer case & the twinstick if it meant I could go up a notch in gears. Folks @ Gear Vendors said I'd need to go up at least one more generation in t-case just to be able to add their box... (sigh)

Would like to keep it Dodge or aftermarket. WiIwood says they making nothing in 8-lug, but like I said, I could go 6-lug & not be
freaked out by losing the two lugs but would be a drag to have to ditch the 16 inch forged Centerlines.

Hit me, what can I do to gain a five speed (with o-d), then maybe still add the G.V..? And how about four wheel discs....?

I end up turning 'everything old' I own into a more resto-modie ride so I can drive them quicker & with more umm, gusto without needing to worry about causing collateral damage.

Cheers,
Cris
My truck, '66 W200 Crewcab. Got any parts.?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Want to 'modernize' my truck. O-dr. 5-speed & 4 wheel d

Post by Hobcobble »

You should talk with Russ Roth. Maybe start with doing a search on this site.
Russ can help you with some good ideas. Another guy to bounce this off of
is Doug Cartwright [DigDoug]. :idea :2cents He's put some really nice Ws
together. :Thumbsup
John

Cris
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Post by Cris »

Hobcobble wrote:You should talk with Russ Roth. Maybe start with doing a search on this site.
Russ can help you with some good ideas. Another guy to bounce this off of
is Doug Cartwright [DigDoug]. :idea :2cents He's put some really nice Ws
together. :Thumbsup
John
Howdy, I've done the research here on the site regarding the brake upgrade. Problem looks like 2WD vs. 4WD.
Last meaningful discussion on discs in the powerwagon area seems like it took lace in 2004-2005 timeframe.

Which is why I thought I'd bring it up again.

I'll do some more research on transmissions available to bolt up to a LA series engine. Did see something interesting in the latest
Summit racing flyer. For the D series trucks, they had some goodies listed from American Powertrain for "hydramax hydraulic clutch release systems' to be used on the A-833 23 spline 4-speed & 23 spline Passion 4-/5-speed (Item AWR-HMCH01101G) or for the Ford Tremec TKO 5-spped or the Ford T-56 6-speed or the Magnum 6-speed: a-833 18 spline, Chrysler 4-speed and 18-spline Passion 4-/-5 speed (Item AWR-HMCH01201G), both at $628.97.

So perhaps there's some hope.!

Thanks for the input John, always appreciated.

Cris
My truck, '66 W200 Crewcab. Got any parts.?

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Cris,
The simplest way to disks is to replace the front diff with one from a newer truck. 91.5 -93 dana 60s from diesel dodges seem to be the easist to find/best built.If you get a set with a 3.54 gear you may not need bother with overdrive. As for rear disks,there are plenty of ways to skin that cat.

If you are set on an overdrive you might think about a getrag g360 .It was also used in the first gen Dodge Cummins trucks. I put one in a 67 w200 with a married 205. A neighbor to the north put one in his w300.I would talk to him if you want to do this swap,as I think he took things a step further in the quallity department... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23712&start=20
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD