Steering/diff upgrade

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Steering/diff upgrade

Post by marklein »

Plans for my 65 PW, put newer dana 44 w/discs on the front. Has anyone out there put the steering box and complete axle setup from an early 90's dodge on a sweptline? Would have to box the frame to handle the stress and make a steering shaft. Any idea how critical the angle of the steering box would be? Can the shocks be moved behind the axle like they are on the newer trucks? Would have to move the drivers shock to get a steering shaft through. Not worried about the brakes, that part is not a problem.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Steering/diff upgrade

Post by dodgeboykim »

I did some of what your thinking of. Power steering from a 77 W series truck , Moved shocks to rear of original axle. Used stock holes in frame to mount upper shock mounts. Kept original steering column with mods and custom shaft to box. Just keep your drag link in a level plane to avoid bump steer. Or do a crossover if possible.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

413wagon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: cochranville
State: PA

Re: Steering/diff upgrade

Post by 413wagon »

mine has 81 w150 front open knuckle 44 and the cpp power steering box kit...see new ps box thread for details.pics. box bolts right in place of original.