Horrible Grinding From Transfer Case!

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
scosol

Horrible Grinding From Transfer Case!

Post by scosol »

Hi all- this is regarding my recently-aquired 74 W100 (yes I know it's not a sweptline, but I own a 68 A108 too and it's just a driveline question :) )-

It's an automatic with a divorced NP205- basically, the transfer case grinds *horribly* when trying to go from neutral->2HI or from neutral->4LO-
I can always get it in to 2HI just by yanking through the grind, but I've only been able to get it in 4LO *once*...

I'm thinking that it might be that my idle is too high or something, becuase with the hubs unlocked the front driveshaft spins very slowly with both the tranny and transfer case in neutral- meaning that those gears in the case are turning just from the fluid
(the 205 isn't synchronized is it?)
Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

wycowboy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by wycowboy »

No, the 205 isn't synchronized. What you might try first is to adjust the shifter for the transfer case. The fact that the drive shaft turns a little bit makes me think that its not disengaging from 4WD all the way.

Chris
Semper Fi! Active duty 1983-1987, VMA(AW)-224

1987 W150, 225, NP435, NP208, my driver

1966 D200 camper special, 318 poly, NP435, sons driver

1987 Ford Thunderbird LX 5.0, wifes driver

Post by Guest »

hmmm- i'll check it out but the 205 linkage looked pretty non-adjustable when i was last under there-
just a big arm and solid welds-

re "not coming out of 4wd totally"- no that's not happening, i can stop the front shaft from turning just by grabing it with my hand
(or locking the front hubs)
it's just the viscous fluid movement that's doing it-
hmmmm i know what i need to do- i need to look under there when the tranny is in neutral/park and see if that intermediate shaft off the back of the tranny is turning-
i bet it is
(again just through the viscous fluid pressure)
that's the only way anything could even be getting to the transfer case-
the tranny has a firm shifting kit in it, and what feels like a very low-stall converter-
i'm thinking that hopefully i can lower the idle enough so that the torqu convertor doesn't get spun up at all...

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

Pretty much have to shut it off unless the trans in park. Autos are bad for “viscous fluid movementâ€

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Don hit the nail on the head.You have to get out of the shift on the fly mindset.I still find myself trying to go from hi to lo with the tranny in gear :banghead .You need to stop ,put the tranny in park then shift the transfer case.I don't know why I'm even writing . Don's post says it all. :Thumbsup

Doug

scosol

Post by scosol »

Yeah, thanks Don- you are exactly correct, Park would be the only way to ensure that the output shaft was not spinning-
I'm with you- this is the first automatic truck I've ever had so I was just thinking "yeah, put it in neutral blah blah" like a stick-

Also- it was having problems popping out of 4LO- while I was under there watching the driveshaft motions I noticed the big linkage bar was bent- so- bent it back straight with a hammer and now it stays in 4LO no problem- it was never fully engaging. Don't know how in hell it got bent though, it's pretty tucked up and protected in there.

POWWAG
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Maple Valley
State: WA

Post by POWWAG »

Once out wheelin I had a long stick come up and break a bolt off on the fire wall. Out in the woods when your gassin it everythings in danger.

Don