65 w100 project

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

65 w100 project

Post by marklein »

Hi all, new to w100 but not to sweptlines. I recently purchased a 65 w100. White v8 truck, came from Oregon. What I would like to do is possibly put it on a 98 4x4 frame to get a much better ride. I would like to use the magnum powertrain as is and drive it every day. I remember how the 60's and 70's 4x4's rode, and I'd like a better ride. Has anyone here heard or seen this being done. I have a line on a 98 truck for free and I am going to do some measuring to see if it will work. What you think?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: 65 w100 project

Post by Hobcobble »

marklein wrote:Hi all, new to w100 but not to sweptlines. I recently purchased a 65 w100. White v8 truck, came from Oregon. What I would like to do is possibly put it on a 98 4x4 frame to get a much better ride. I would like to use the magnum powertrain as is and drive it every day. I remember how the 60's and 70's 4x4's rode, and I'd like a better ride. Has anyone here heard or seen this being done. I have a line on a 98 truck for free and I am going to do some measuring to see if it will work. What you think?
In the upper right hand part of the main page, you'll find the "SEARCH" feature. :Thumbsup
You should likely find some information on this very topic.
John

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by marklein »

Could someone out there let me know what transport companies exist so I could get it moved. Would like to move it from Bend, OR to Couer D'Alene ID. Changes my haul from 16hrs to about 8. Two less days of travel. It will have to be winched onto a trailer as well.

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by kurt »

I seem to remember someone on here delivering trucks. There must be a towing company that does this with a Dodge 3500 or something instead of a transport.

I am transporting mine from CA to Meridian ID using DAS auto shippers. Mine is getting paid for by a company move package and costs about 2K. Its normally about $1300 but they have to use special shipping since its not a street legal truck right now.
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

marklein wrote:Could someone out there let me know what transport companies exist so I could get it moved. Would like to move it from Bend, OR to Couer D'Alene ID. Changes my haul from 16hrs to about 8. Two less days of travel. It will have to be winched onto a trailer as well.
Try Gary at PDQ Automovers. Tell him you heard of PDQ from this site. :idea
John

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by marklein »

Friend of mine got it shipped for me. He's got contacts in low places. It's in Spokane, so a weekend trip will get it home after some paperwork. I've got some plans, same buddy has a rebuilt poly that might find its way into the engine bay with an efi system. Read somewhere that Weiand is making a 4 bbl manifold again for the poly, any truth to that rumor? I bought a 65 parts truck that came with a cherry set of poly exhaust manifolds and the crossover pipe.

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by marklein »

Thanks. That's the one I saw, for some reason I thought it was Weiand. I sit corrected. Looks like a nice piece.

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by marklein »

Finally got the W100 home. Only a 9 hour drive through the mountains. Early 65 W100, V8 truck originally a 3spd truck but has been converted to a 4 spd. This truck has some interesting trim in the interior that I would like some opinion on. Gauge bezel, ash tray cover, and glove box lid are all chromed. Is this something that came from the factory, or is it something that someone did?
Attachments
20150330_073356.jpg
20150330_073426.jpg
20150328_164518.jpg

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

I dont know about that chrome but the stick shift knob is a very rare and much desired factory original.
Nice truck!

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by marklein »

I think that is a tub faucet knob. Interesting touch I thought. Thanks, it has one of the nicest grilles that I have seen. Some rust on the back side, but otherwise mint. This weekend I'll see if it runs.

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by marklein »

Update. The 360 in the pw runs quite well. Took many hours to get it going as I had destructive help from rats. The dash harness was destroyed, with the underhood harness not fairing much better. My late 65 parts truck gave up its harness and gauges for the pw. I put an electronic distributor in it with a gm hei module. Now runs great, although when vehicles sit a long time, electrical parts deteriorate. Alternator not working, put electronic update regulator from parts truck on it, but to no avail, starter relay ill too. Had to put 2 frost plugs in it, one missing and the other leaking. Clutch working, but brakes a little sketchy, has the booster on the framerail. Now for the wiring, most of the lights don't work and I'd like to get it roadworthy enough to take it as is to one of our local thursday night car shows. See what kind of crowd it brings.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Seeing as it has a 360 in it, someone most likely had the flywheel balanced? :thinking
John

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by marklein »

I have seen the balancing issue before, it does not appear to have a balance problem, it usually very pronounced, and I do not feel any vibration. I was concerned about that very thing as well.

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by marklein »

Got all my lights working, including replacing the signal switch with one from my parts truck. It works now, but I had to disassemble it for repair of the ds brake light. For the lights front and back I soldered a ground wire to each housing and ran the ground wire to the frame. All cars and trucks from that era had lots of ground issues, I have found that a good ground is the best repair for lighting issues. Got a different fuel tank and lines, again from a parts truck, cherry inside. Tempted to call this truck Lazarus.

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by marklein »

Engine builder/mopar guru I know tells me he has a 50,000 mile, carb to oil pan complete, poly 318 for my w100. Need to check this one out. I have been amassing parts, got both newer diffs in 3.55, front being disc brake, still a ways off tho, too many other projects.

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by marklein »

Someday, I'd like to be able to drive this thing every day. This truck has no provision for door locks on the inside. Anybody know if you can cut a hole for the locks inside?

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

I think you lock them with the interior handle. Someone can confirm here

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by marklein »

I checked it, and you are correct. I wondered why the handles would move forward, learn something new every day, thanks.