Getting Started On Fixing Up This Truck

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
bsp256
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Canon City
State: CO

Getting Started On Fixing Up This Truck

Post by bsp256 »

My dad bought this '76 pickup new, and I inherited it recently. I'm getting started fixing it up. I'm having trouble telling what size the engine is and what model it is. It is labeled as a Power Wagon, but I don't know if it is a W100 or D100. It has 4 wheel drive.

The VIN is W14BE6S196885. On that plate, it says the model is W10. Does that mean W100?

The engine runs great. My first project is to replace some damaged body parts and have it painted. Someone told me the best thing to do for the damaged bed is to replace it. It is 6.5' long. Is that just called a short bed? When I called the guy at the junkyard I told him it's a short bed, and he asked if it's sweptline or some other word I can't remember.

Thanks for your help.

Bill
Attachments
20140130_152034_resized_1.jpg
smallengine.jpg

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: Getting Started On Fixing Up This Truck

Post by Jims68 »

Power Wagons are 4WD and that means that your truck is a "W" model. IF it is a half ton truck, then it is a 100 series, 3/4 ton is a 200 series.

The engine looks to be a 318. I am not sure when they started with the 360, but it "could" be that too. It would be an embossed number on the drivers side of the block... so it would say something like 318-1, or 318-3... OR 360-1 The number after the engine size I "BELIEVE" has something to do with being a Heavy Duty engine or "standard" engine. Look on the drivers door post and see if there is a METAL Tag. That should have pertinent info on it too. Have fun!

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Another way to tell is carb base . 2 BBL 318 has a smaller base than 2 BBL 360. Is the hood sticker still under the hood. That will tell you how it was built.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Your truck is a W100. The original engine for this truck is a 318.

The junkyard guy probably asked if it was a Sweptline or Utiline. A sweptline bed is the one you have with the fenders(wheelwells) on the inside of the bed. This is not to be confused with the term Sweptline used in the title of this site. That refers to the body style of the D/W series trucks built from 61-71(73 for medium duty). Utiline is a bed that has the fenders on the outside. You may be more familiar with the GM term "stepside".

It could be difficult to locate the bed you need, depending on your location.

bsp256
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bsp256 »

That is very helpful. Thank you.

Does anyone have any tips on where to find a new bed? Do I just keep checking junkyards?

63d100sixer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by 63d100sixer »

Nice lifestyle era truck :Thumbsup

The vin starts W1 so it's a w100.

If you want to make the drive, I have a BEAUTIFUL cancer free bed for that truck. It has dents, but it's easier than fixing cancer. I'll make a great deal on it too :Thumbsup

I have a 72 and if you make the drive to pick up the bed, I'll make sure it's filled with parts :D What else do you need?

I'm located in riverside ca 92508 :Thumbsup
Attachments
This is my 72
This is my 72
This is the bed
This is the bed
Kevin. Loyal dodge enthusiast since I could hold a wrench

Put your seat belt on. I'm gonna try something
1968 D200 318 727
1972 D100 360 4 speed
1973 d100 318 727
1973 W100 440 727

bsp256
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bsp256 »

63d100,

Thanks for the offer, but that's a long drive. I think I'll see what I can find around here first.

Bill