Steering Stops

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
riffraff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newport Beach
State: CA

Steering Stops

Post by riffraff »

Hi, first post in the 4X4 section :)

Recently bought a 1969 W100, and finally got around to one of the little things that has been bugging me. Namely, a very large turning radius.

The steering stops were wound out pretty far, and when I went to adjust them, I found them tack-welded to the axle (wtf). Got past that, and even without any bolts in, I don't seem to have any rubbing. So, I guess the question is, is there any harm in running the steering at max lock-to-lock? Or at least, until they just rub (assuming new wheels/tires)? Just wondering why the PO felt the need to WELD the adjusters in place. Note, I do have bolts in now, wound in tight against the jam-nuts.

Oh, forgot to mention, closed knuckles.

Tom
1969 W100 383/435

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Steering Stops

Post by dodgeboykim »

Having a closed knuckle truck myself I do believe the reason for the stops are for two things.
1. The possibility of turning too far when in 4 wheel drive mode and putting the steering U joints into an excessive angle.
2. The other possibility is the turn is so far as to damage the seal that surrounds the ball end of the axle.
Me I would reinstall them. They were there for a reason. And I have at one time on my 66 W100.

riffraff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by riffraff »

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I had them back in place before I posted. Was more wondering if there was a "minimum" I could set them to, and any speculation on why someone might weld them in place.
Tom
1969 W100 383/435

dougdodgeman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: belleville,il.

Post by dougdodgeman »

Those jam nuts and bolts were tack welded from the factory. Definietly to save the joints and seals. Doug

riffraff
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by riffraff »

dougdodgeman wrote:Those jam nuts and bolts were tack welded from the factory. Definietly to save the joints and seals. Doug
That does make sense. Actually, I had considered it, but kinda ruled it out. That said, removing them doesn't make me too clever now :)

Oh well, no harm done, and I get to adjust them to my satisfaction...
Tom
1969 W100 383/435