Warn hubs

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denver
State: CO

Warn hubs

Post by FlyingEagle »

I found a '70 PW 3/4 ton in the salvage yard today & grabbed the Warn hubs. My '62 has Dualmatics, but one is broken. I pulled the hubs & the studs. Don't know if the studs are the same, better safe than sorry. Got them home & realized they aren't the same. The one on driver side is a M166 which was easy to remove & had red grease in it. The pass side is a M197 which was a little harder to remove & had brown grease in it. From reading other posts, it looks like the M166 is original & the M197 is new/aftermarket. Funny that the M166 was in better shape.
I haven't pulled them apart yet, but I thought I would seek the wisdom of others. Pertaining to the 4 holes on inside, the M166 has spring loaded pins that protrude when in lock, but the M197 doesn't. Does this seem right? The M166 also has a clip that is loose down inside that should have been in a groove on the shaft? The hubs came off easy without tools, so I don't think there is any damage. Any thoughts? Any preference on grease?
(next day) I pulled the broken Dualmatic off & have a couple broken bolts to dig out. The bearing hub itself has some damage, so I think I'll pull the one from salvage yard that I pulled the Warn hub from. The red grease was more expensive & says it's premium. So I bought a can. And the snap rings do have a groove on the axle shaft. I will install right.
Scott
Attachments
DSCN3323.JPG
DSCN3322.JPG
DSCN3321.JPG
M166 on left, M197 on right
M166 on left, M197 on right
Scott

'62 W200 w/LA318, 4spd (rescued from parts truck status)
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton- will drive it til I die

hoon
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Youngstown
State: OH

Re: Warn hubs

Post by hoon »

Years ago, I had a mid 70's Chevy Dana 44 that had lockouts on it that looked like those. You had to remove the six allen head bolts, separate the two halves, and remove the snap ring off the end of the stub shaft before the rest could be removed. I would imagine yours would be similar.
62 D300