Grandpa's Power Wagon

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
DodgeBeast
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Charlotte
State: NC

Grandpa's Power Wagon

Post by DodgeBeast »

I joined this forum about a year ago, but this is my first posting. Here is my story. My grandfather bought a 1969 Power Wagon from Stanley Dodge in National City CA. it was a demo with 600 miles on it. I still have the CA black plates. He later moved to Missouri to his farm where the truck lived for 30 years. When I was was a younger lad, we would drive the truck around the farm and go to town in it. He blew the engine sometime in the late 90's and a junk mechanic slapped something together and tossed in the truck for him. The truck came with a 383. That second engine never ran right. He has passed on but the truck is at my shop. I have had it for about 5 years. When I pulled the engine and tore it down to see how bad it was, it was bad. The crankshaft had worn into the block rendering both useless. Last year I did some horse trading and was able to get a late 60's 383. a year later I now have a running engine and have started to get the old truck back on the road. I am down to getting tires and brakes on it. I will post some pictures of it later on as I get it road ready. My goal is to get the truck as close to how he had it. The front and rear bumpers were made by him when he bent them up hauling cows to the auction. (He was a retired machinist and ran a small machine shop at his farm.) I am leaving his personal touches on it because even though I have it now, it will always be Grandpa's Power Wagon.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Grandpa's Power Wagon

Post by dodgeboykim »

:Thumbsup :Thumbsup

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denver
State: CO

Post by FlyingEagle »

Welcome! That is an awesome story. Your grandpa would be proud.
How's the body after being in Misery for 30 years? I'm from St. Louis so I know all about rust. Let's see some pics!
Scott
Scott

'62 W200 w/LA318, 4spd (rescued from parts truck status)
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton- will drive it til I die

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

We can't wait to see your Grandpa's truck. Stories like yours are
great. :Thumbsup
John

DavidWymore
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: El Centro (of nowhere)
State: CA

Post by DavidWymore »

Cool!

DodgeBeast
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DodgeBeast »

DSCN0002.JPG
DSCN0003.JPG
Here is a picture of the Beast. The grey wheels are 16" from a Ford E-150 van wearing 265-75-16 all terrain tires. I just got most of my brake parts in the other day. Once the brakes are done, all that is left is getting a tag for it and going to some criuse-ins for some fun. Also a shot of the inside after I gave it a well needed bath. The cable is for the heater box repair I am doing. I replaced the valve and the hoses. I am going to do a write up in the Tech section with a couple of pics as well.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

I had a 71 like that but with the PTO winch . Sold it in 1991. Pulled some twits with Toyota's out years ago and when I showed up all they could do was bad mouth my truck. They weren't badmouthing me when I pulled the one twit out and then we talked how much for the recovery. I was on call for a towing company to help recover off road twits that called tow trucks. Made good money back then. Then he had the gall to ask if my 71 was for sale. Not a chance.

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denver
State: CO

Post by FlyingEagle »

Looks good. Better than I expected for a MO truck. That gas tank door/extra tank must have been a popular mod in the '70s. There is a '70 in local salvage yard with one. Good luck!
Scott
Scott

'62 W200 w/LA318, 4spd (rescued from parts truck status)
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton- will drive it til I die

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

That is NICE that you have your Grandpops truck!

Jim
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

DodgeBeast
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by DodgeBeast »

DSCN0005.JPG
DSCN0005.JPG (80.35 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
Here is a picture of the throttle linkage I made to adapt the 4 barrel. It is 3/16" x 3/4" flat steel with a slight z bend to correct the alignment of the original gas pedal and the linkage of the Holley.