Newbie w/'62 W200

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denver
State: CO

Newbie w/'62 W200

Post by FlyingEagle »

Hi all. I just bought a '62 W200 from a fellow here in Denver area. He had bought this for the bed & other parts for another truck. A 2whl drive! So now my truck is missing the bed, PW script on the hood, & the front bumper. Not a big deal for me. This is gonna replace my Scout 800 as daily driver & offroad toy. The Scout needs just about everything rebuilt/replaced. Now back to the PW. I saw it on Craigs & fell in love. It has a V8, 4spd, & good axles. I went to look it over & the body looked good other than pass door & rocker. The floors are solid. Windshield has cracks. Has some bucket seats from a van? Guy thinks it has bad battery, but turned the key & started instantly. Ran great! Took it for a spin. Good brakes, but the hyd clutch needs work (bleeding maybe). This is 9pm about 40 miles away, so I didn't get to spend a lot of time looking at it. I figured I could come back the next day & wire some lights & drive it home. He offered to trailer it for gas money, so I said heck yeah! I gave him $100 for gas & time so now I have $600 in to this truck. Yeah he had it listed for $500. See the pics to see if I did ok.
The guy shows up about 6pm next day a couple blocks from my house. No room to unload at home. We rolled it off trailer & tried to start it. Dead battery. No problem. I let him go, went home & got brother to go back & jump it. It started, so I took off. Got about 100' & it died. Then nothing. Rolled off the street & tried to jump it. Nothing. So I looked for loose wires & found one on starter relay. When I tightened it, it sparked & the starter started cranking. Now I am under the hood (dropped wrench when sparked), trans in 1st, & my bros truck 3' in front. Now I jumped down, ran to drivers seat, popped into neutral, & stabbed brake. Whew, didn't hit bros truck. Starter is still spinning, so I dove under, found wrench, & loosened the nut on relay...All is good. Took a deep breath. Started the truck no problem & drove it home. It was getting dark. Barely had time to get a few pics. Good thing I didn't try to drive it 40 miles.
Plan is to fix wiring, fix leaks, add flatbed, & drive. Here are specs so far: 318, 4spd (NP435?), NP205?, D44 frnt w/Dualmatic hubs & D60 rr. I'll be going over it this weekend to get better look. I already have a 8k PTO winch setup ready to install. Wish me luck!
Keeps telling me file is too big. Will add more pics.
Attachments
DSCN3254.JPG
Scott

'62 W200 w/LA318, 4spd (rescued from parts truck status)
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton- will drive it til I die

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Newbie w/'62 W200

Post by FlyingEagle »

Here are more pics. Figured it out. Editing flips from reduce to enlarge every time. Can you figure out where I got my username from?
Attachments
Here's the seats.
Here's the seats.
DSCN3258.JPG
DSCN3258.JPG (42.32 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
DSCN3261.JPG
DSCN3256.JPG
DSCN3255.JPG
Scott

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by FlyingEagle »

Uh.....does the '62 have an odd dash? It's the only pic getting viewed. Not that I mind. Just curious. Or is it just cause a smaller pic shows info?
Scott
Scott

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

The pictures don't have a view counter except for that small one. I'm not sure why some of them have that since the ones that do aren't clickable. 1962 was the only year with White gauges.

We saw your truck on craigslist. It was posted in the non-member for sale section and looked like a good deal. It appears to have a 69-71 factory light-duty rear bumper. These are difficult to find.

I also have a 68 Scout 800 that I plan on making into a daily driver but with a much different approach than most.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

As Bil said..... several of us watched your truck in the "For Sale" section. It didn't last too
long for a reason... :Thumbsup I think you did very well for the $$. The LA318 in it is from
a newer vehicle. Your transfer case is the NP 201 twin stick. Welcome to the site. :welcome :usa :Thumbsup
John

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by FlyingEagle »

It was on Craigs for 45min when I called. I thought the engine looked newer. I hadn't seen a poly 318 since I drove a '65 Fury back in late 80's. Parts should be easy to get & maybe fuel inject later. The rear bumper has some damage, but looks fixable. I will offer up the bumper & rear hubcaps if anyone wants them. There is a guy N of Denver on Craigs parting out a couple of these trucks. I need parts so I will check them out. Biggest thing is the window & latch handles are twisted off.

edit: Oops! The bumper is FUBAR. See pic. Hubcaps have a couple minor dents.

Thanks for the info. Now to get out there & play with it.

Soopernaut.. I love my Scout, but it is wore out & beat. Not my fault. I bought it last May. 152 four, 4spd, D20, & D27 axles. Since it's a '66 it will take a lot of modifying to install V8.
Attachments
pass side
pass side
DSCN3263.JPG
Scott

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by FlyingEagle »

Update.
Took seats out to remove carpet, cleaned floor, then put back in. Floors felt solid because of sheet metal bolted down. Rockers are made out of stove pipe. Did some wiring fixes. Bummer find of the day: the pass side dualmatic hub is broken. :pale Will take apart another day. Brake booster was bypassed, but brakes work. Speedo cable was unhooked. :thinking I have original truck manual.
Still lots more to do.
Check out my oil pressure gauge. After peeling back tape, it says Cummins Engine on it. Cool.
Scott
Attachments
cool gauge
cool gauge
brake booster vent cover. sweet.
brake booster vent cover. sweet.
not sure what happened here.
not sure what happened here.
I hate carpet.
I hate carpet.
broke dualmatic
broke dualmatic
Scott

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Bummer.
:pale
Dig the white gauges! :Thumbsup

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by FlyingEagle »

Thanks, Wally.
So far the amp & temp are the only ones working. Speedo & fuel aren't hooked up. Oil pressure idiot light is probably not hooked due to mech gauge & newer engine. I'm gonna see if I can use both.
Scott

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by FlyingEagle »

I know there isn't a lot of traffic here, but I'll keep posting. The LA318 didn't want to idle below 1500rpm, so I pulled the air cleaner off to check it out. Vac advance not hooked up, 2 ports on carb open, bowl vent plugged, voltage reg not secure, & a couple wires barely holding together. I had the carb off to open it up & make sure everything was good. Looked good & clean. Went to put it back on & looked in the intake bore. The pass side has some metal thing in it & the driver side has a recess in it. This is a lean burn engine. Can't be good for performance. Think I'll hit the salvage yard to find another intake.
Fixed the other problems & fired it up. Still high idle. Did some carb tuning. Got it to idle down. It is running rough & dies after revving. So now time to focus on ignition. I'll try the Skip White electronic dist on ebay. Hate spending money on points.
Hopefully I'll have this truck on the road in 2 weeks. Maybe...if it stops snowing & warms up. Plus, the guy who wants my Scout stopped by to check out the PW. He approved. Of course. :lol:
Scott
Attachments
Yes, that is a puddle of gas.
Yes, that is a puddle of gas.
Scott

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by FlyingEagle »

Went to start it today & it fired right up. I guess my tuning helped. :clap Plus the battery doesn't seem like it is draining like it was. I have 255/75/16 tires (about 29") on the truck. Does it look like I have a lift? Or is that stock height? I am on the hunt for some 33's.
Scott
Attachments
DSCN3296.JPG
Scott

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Nice toy you got there.

Did you say you needed window cranks & inside door latches? If you don't get them from the Denver CL guy then I have some (assuming 62 & 65 are same).

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by FlyingEagle »

Thanks, I plan on having a lot of fun with it. It'll be great on trails & be able to climb a hill at more than 20mph. Unlike my Scout.

The handles & the door assemblies have stripped splines on driver's side. Just the handles are stripped on pass side. The driver side window crank goes up & down easy using pliers. D side latch works. Don't know why they are stripped. A member in Washington has the latch handles, door panels, & maybe a couple other items. I won't be able to meet up w/ Denver guy til Thursday. I'll let you know.

Scott
Scott

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte
State: MT

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

Nice! Looks like it is coming along...

As for the lift - my '64 W200 has stock blocks in the rear and shims in front to raise it an inch or two higher than my '69 W200 sits.
I recall reading somewhere that this was common up until a certain year (maybe '69 is when they lowered them a bit? - I know a '68 W200 that also seems to sit high)

I could easily fit 33's on the '64, but the same tires/rims on the '69 rubbed the fender just a bit.

- Walt
:usa

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

69 W series trucks were lower than previous 68 n older W series. My 66 always sat higher than the 71 I used to own.

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by FlyingEagle »

See, I knew there was a reason to like older trucks. '62 seems to be my year. I've had two '62 Impalas, two '62 Belairs, and currently a '62 Studebaker 1 ton dually. (edit: someone from craigs just made offer on Stude. will pick up thursday.) My '49 Chevy was 62 yrs old when I got it on the road. This PW seems like a keeper. It has everything I want in a 4x4 truck.
Scott
Scott

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by FlyingEagle »

More updates. Maybe I should've put this in the build section, but I see it as more repair than build.

I added a new turn signal switch. It's an old Chieftain brand. Same as the one in my Chevy. Had to add grounds to the front signals, but now all my lights work.
Found the wire that was supposed to go to tank & hooked it up. Gauge went straight to full so gotta fix something there.
Added an old Chevy front bumper that I had laying around. It'll do until I make a bumper for winch install.
Thinking about installing these mirrors that came with truck. Any opinions?
Attachments
never mind bolts in gas pedal, had to "fix"
never mind bolts in gas pedal, had to "fix"
DSCN3303.JPG
DSCN3305.JPG
Scott

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

FlyingEagle wrote:Found the wire that was supposed to go to tank & hooked it up. Gauge went straight to full so gotta fix something there.
That means the gauge itself is good. When the gas tank is full, the sending unit is completing the ground circuit to the gauge. As the fuel level drops, the ground signal becomes weaker (resistance increases, continuity decreases) and the gauge falls towards empty.
At least this is how it works on the Lifestyle era Dodges.
Sounds like your fuel sending unit is messed up & grounded out.
Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

FlyingEagle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by FlyingEagle »

Thanks Bucky. I wasn't sure which one it was. At least it isn't the gauge. To make sure, I shoved a stick in the tank & it is only about 1/3 full.
Couldn't stand the signals w/o lenses, so I getto fabbed some cheap 4" lenses from universal tails. I cut small notches in the sides for the screws & put 'em on. Not great, but works. The silicone is only to glue the gasket, not the lens.
Attachments
DSCN3307.JPG
Scott

powerwagoncrazy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hubbard, OR
State: OR

Post by powerwagoncrazy »

FlyingEagle wrote:Went to start it today & it fired right up. I guess my tuning helped. :clap Plus the battery doesn't seem like it is draining like it was. I have 255/75/16 tires (about 29") on the truck. Does it look like I have a lift? Or is that stock height? I am on the hunt for some 33's.
Scott
Doesn't look lifted, but somebody definitely opened up the front of the wheel opening with a sawzall or something. D and W series trucks used the same fenders- the '62 D200 below shows what your fenders originally looked like:
clean and shiny.jpg
'66 Cummins W250 5 spd crew cab long bed
'67 W200 Cummins, never-ending project
'74 Ramcharger Cummins 5 speed
'02 24v quad cab 6 speed dually 4x4