Bad 5380 Pinion Yoke

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
BlueManCrew
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: west richland
State: WA

Bad 5380 Pinion Yoke

Post by BlueManCrew »

I have a great new balanced driveline with fresh ujoints but the rear 5380 pinion yoke is toast. 10 spline. Dana 60 I think.

I get sucked down the rabbit hole when trying to figure out a simple replacement or conversion. So first, are there any suppliers of the 5380? Next....is there a simple conversion?

So far the guy at Six States was thinking I had to downsize to a 1310, buy a new slip yoke, new pinion yoke, and new ujoint. Seems like there should be a simpler way. Ideas?

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane

Re: Bad 5380 Pinion Yoke

Post by jimmy »

Are all dana 60's 10 spline?
I installed a Dana 70 rear and a 60 front from a 92' Cummins truck. The Cummins yokes were huge and my 69' drivelines had new u-joints so I grabbed a yoke from pull n save from a dana 60 that was in a mid 70's Dodge truck. I snagged the other yoke from the removed dana 60 that was factory in my 69'. They all worked great.

What I'm getting at is; I thought from at least 69' (Maybe earlier) to 93' the yokes could be interchanged to fit your needs. Dana 60 & 70.

Hope that helps.

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

What is your truck? Year/model.
Still may be grab a common size yoke, then maybe a ujoint that has two different sizes.... the name escapes me.. Maybe its call a Conversion ujoint? to adapt the drive line to the yoke. I tried the conversion ujoint before replacing my yoke but the correct size wasn't available.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

I replaced the front diff in my 66W100 going from a 3500 lb axle to a 69 3500 lb axle. Had to change the yolk from old 66 diff to 69 diff as the yolks were different. I now have to change out the rear DANA 60 as the rear yolk /pinion is sloppy . Planning on using either a Dana 60 from a 78 W200 I have or a 70 Dana 60 I have. And I will probably have to deal with different yolks no matter what. :thinking :pale

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Here is a 1350 yoke... http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/produ ... -3461.html

There was a spicer 1410 yoke available a couple years ago that only requires using a 5380/1410 conversion joint. In a quick search I came up with this...http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-2092 ... pline.aspx
This yoke looks like it might fit a np 201 TC. I don't think the dimensions look right for a 60/70 pinion yoke,but I am only going from memory,as I sold/gave away all my spare yokes. I'll do a little more searching...

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

You should be able to get a spicer yoke part # using the dimentions from your old yoke and this catalog...http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J300-P4.pdf As you scroll down you will see section #s at the right side. I think you will want to be in the #23 section.Good luck!
:salut

Going by the dimensions given in my first link,This should be the correct yoke in a 1410 size. Spicer 3-4-4451-1X .Please confirm for yourself... http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-2099 ... -yoke.aspx

For your U Joint ... 5-357X (1410/5380)
http://spicerparts.com/products/drivesh ... e/u-joints

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

jimmy wrote:Are all dana 60's 10 spline?
I installed a Dana 70 rear and a 60 front from a 92' Cummins truck. The Cummins yokes were huge and my 69' drivelines had new u-joints so I grabbed a yoke from pull n save from a dana 60 that was in a mid 70's Dodge truck. I snagged the other yoke from the removed dana 60 that was factory in my 69'. They all worked great.

What I'm getting at is; I thought from at least 69' (Maybe earlier) to 93' the yokes could be interchanged to fit your needs. Dana 60 & 70.

Hope that helps.
Jim,
You are exactly right 69-93 dana 60 and 70 yokes are 29 spline. Pre 69 yokes are 10 spline. :Thumbsup

BlueManCrew
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BlueManCrew »

Good information. This project is a 1969 D200 crew cab that I just converted to a W200 using 1968 axles. The rear is a Dana 60 with the bad 5380 yoke. The front is a Dana 44. Front is in ok shape.

So in an ideal world......I would be able to find a 10 spline pinion yoke that fits my Dana 60....AND a u-joint that allows me to convert to the existing 5380 slip yoke. Only the pinion yoke is bad. My driveshaft slip yoke is fine.

So far, I've only found scenarios where all three need to be replaced (pinion yoke, u-joint, slip-yoke).

Hope this clears up some of the questions. Any ideas?

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

This is an ideal world :banghead I just gave you the easy answer. buy this pinion yoke... Spicer 3-4-4451-1X http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-2099 ... -yoke.aspx

And this u joint ... Spicer 5-357X :idea

BlueManCrew
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BlueManCrew »

The Spicer u-joint is ~$80 and the Neapco is ~$40. Is there that much difference? I suppose one may be Chinese and the other made in US?

Thanks for the suggestion on the yoke. I don't know why that was so much work in an ideal world....

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Napco joints are fine. :Thumbsup

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by jimmy »

Great info Doug. As always one of the most helpful people on the site.
I didn't know the 68 and older was a 10 spline.

For what it's worth: The Six States in Spokane has always been great to deal with. Prices and parts are good too.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

BlueManCrew wrote:The Spicer u-joint is ~$80 and the Neapco is ~$40. Is there that much difference? I suppose one may be Chinese and the other made in US?

Thanks for the suggestion on the yoke. I don't know why that was so much work in an ideal world....

You get what you pay for. 13Years ago I had to replace the original steering u joints in the Dana 60 front end of my 96 3500 Diesel at approx 130,000 miles. I decided that I could do better and put TRW u joints that were greasable in. They lasted 2 years even with periodic greasing. Replaced them with Spicer sealed joints you grease when installing. Its been nearly 10 years since they were put in. They have roughly 120,000 miles on them now. The TRW joints were 40 to 60 a piece at the time. The Spicers were$80 a piece.
Spend money on quality parts and get a decent life from them. :thinking

W20071
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Huntsville
State: UT

Post by W20071 »

dodgeboykim wrote:
BlueManCrew wrote:The Spicer u-joint is ~$80 and the Neapco is ~$40. Is there that much difference? I suppose one may be Chinese and the other made in US?

You get what you pay for. 13Years ago I had to replace the original steering u joints in the Dana 60 front end of my 96 3500 Diesel at approx 130,000 miles. I decided that I could do better and put TRW u joints that were greasable in. They lasted 2 years even with periodic greasing. Replaced them with Spicer sealed joints you grease when installing. Its been nearly 10 years since they were put in. They have roughly 120,000 miles on them now. The TRW joints were 40 to 60 a piece at the time. The Spicers were$80 a piece.
Spend money on quality parts and get a decent life from them. :thinking
Definitely! :Thumbsup :clap Been down that road before. "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a good deal is forgotten" A tough truck and weak components, recipe for disaster.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

Another truck I used to own was a 76 W200 440 auto club cab long box Dana 60/60 with PTO winch. On propane with tanks it was 7000 lbs and with the camper around 10,000. That truck had the small Chryco u joint for some reason and the only way I could get the joints in the drive shafts to last was to use only greasable Spicer joints with the nipple in a cap.