Value of a parts truck, vs a running truck

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
ChipolteOrangeD300
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 05661
State: VT

Value of a parts truck, vs a running truck

Post by ChipolteOrangeD300 »

I am headed to see a W300 that has been torn apart for body work. Basically it is a jigsaw puzzle, with a 318, and power booster I believe.. IF it was complete and assembled (running) then I would be comfortable spending $1500-2000 for it, knowing it needs a bunch of floor work.. brakes, and everything else that a truck that has been sitting for 10 years would neeed..

BUT as a result of it being all torn apart, and there "may" be bits and pieces that have gotten lost.. what is a "fair to the seller, fair to the buyer" range that the the truck may be worth. and what would a W300 be worth as scrap?

Suggestions as to what to look for, and what is important to notice are appreciated.
Thanks
Millsy

dodgedakota
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Boulder
State: MT

Re: Value of a parts truck, vs a running truck

Post by dodgedakota »

I would say it all depends on the condition of the parts. Did the body actually receive the work the seller wanted done? Was it a driver? How extensive was the needed bodywork? If it was reasonable to pay 2000$ for this truck running, then I would offer 1200$ simply because it is not assembled. But without pictures or a specific description, its hard to tell you a price because it varies so much on location, quality of parts, how much you feel your labor is worth, and the trucks overall condition. hearing the word scrap :shame you would be the proud owner of some useful valuable sweptline parts, not scrap metal.

ChipolteOrangeD300
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Dodgedekota,
Thanks for your response, it helps to hear a different perspective.

No.. the truck was taken apart, and that was the end of the "repairs".. so it sits as a frame, and doorless cab, with fenders, radiator support, doors and the like in a pile.. and rusty cab floors, and door mounting supports...

I am sort of wanting to offer about 1/3 of the asking price. As I have seen complete W300s for the asking price.. and this one is a jigsaw puzzle..

Yet it is a big job to put together someone else's project...

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

ChipolteOrangeD300 wrote:Dodgedekota,
Thanks for your response, it helps to hear a different perspective.

No.. the truck was taken apart, and that was the end of the "repairs".. so it sits as a frame, and doorless cab, with fenders, radiator support, doors and the like in a pile.. and rusty cab floors, and door mounting supports...

I am sort of wanting to offer about 1/3 of the asking price. As I have seen complete W300s for the asking price.. and this one is a jigsaw puzzle..

Yet it is a big job to put together someone else's project...
I could almost guarantee that this parts truck's brakes are toasted too. Those old
6 lug drums aren't available new anymore. I'm with you on your offer idea. The
worst that could happen is the owner says no.... :2cents :Thumbsup
John

ChipolteOrangeD300
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Good Point hobcobble... which I had not considered.. maybe 1/4 the asking price has more wisdom.. I am sure I can find a place to spend the money within the rebuild process, and if he says NO, I have one less project to worry about

JPAdventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: the Eastern Plains
State: CO

Post by JPAdventurer »

W300s are low production trucks, they are neat and absolute brutes! I have a 1971 W300 apart but they made 864? I think. They do cost more in general I have found out compared to 1/2 and 3/4 ton PWs. There low numbers and uniqueness makes them more valuable/desirable. Drawbacks are 4.88 gears are terrible with gas prices and brake drums for either 6 lug 61-68 or 8 lug 69-71, are very hard to find! But they are awesome trucks! :Thumbsup. They go for $3000+ for a decent truck. One a lil rough $1500-2000 is an okay figure id say. If yours is as bad as you think maybe $800-1000ish :thinking

ChipolteOrangeD300
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

I will likely offer $800 for the truck, as it is a pile of parts..and although they are workhorses, as you said, they have some shortcomings that make it hard to turn then into a weekend work rig. Brakes being the biggest issue, with sheet metal being a close second..

JPAdventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: the Eastern Plains
State: CO

Post by JPAdventurer »

That sounds decent, id think he'd bite especially if it's in pieces not alot of people would be interested in a project too involved. Take some pics and let us know how it goes. :salut