68 D300 and 76 W300 axle swap questions

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
maddog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

68 D300 and 76 W300 axle swap questions

Post by maddog »

Hello Dodge Power Wagon people.
First post here. I have been looking for a site like this for a few weeks now, why it took me so long to find you guys, I dont know but I am glad to be here.

I have a 1968 D300 that needs to be 4x4. I have been investigating ways to do this and have even bought a pair of 97 Dodge one ton axles but now I find out that may not be the way to go. I have a fabrication shop, so the fabrication needed is not too big of a deal, but the more I learn the more I question this route.

I have also found a 1976 W300, hasnt run in years but in real good shape otherwise. I would just use this one but I want a pre 74 for california smog purposes so I am considering swapping the running gear from the 76 to the 68. Sell the rest of the 76 for parts.

What do you think?
What am I missing?
What interchanges and what doesnt?
What axles are in the 76? D70 rear and D60 front?

I am really looking forward to this project.

Thanks

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: 68 D300 and 76 W300 axle swap questions

Post by digdoug »

Chevy axles are the right spring perch width for a swepty 300. The 72-93 Dodge axles are a little wider than on a Swepty 300.
Yes ,a 76 w300 should have a 60 front and 70 rear.

maddog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

Post by maddog »

Thanks for that.
How much wider are the 72-93?
Are you talking overall width or spring perch width?

What year and type Chevy front axle would I look for? (one ton I assume?)

Lowdown
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Severn
State: MD

Post by Lowdown »

Chevy truck axles from '79 - '87, like the D44 (front), D60 (front), and 14 bolt (rear) are 69.5" wide, from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface **in single rear wheel form**. Spring perch width on the front 44s and 60s is 31.5" from center pin to center pin. Dually and SRW GM 60 housing are the same.

Dodge axles like the 44 front, 60 front, 60 rear, and 70 rear are 67.5" from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface **in single rear wheel form**. Spring perch width on the front 44s and 60s is 32.5" from center pin to center pin. Dually and SRW Dodge 60 housing are the same.

The difference in width between GM and Dodge axle width is in the housing; the amount of axle housing tube sticking out of the diff on the passenger side is noticebly less on the Dodge; 2".

I highly reccomend you give this article an on the Dana 60 good once over. I do caveat that the only thing that I caught that's incorrect are the perch width numbers. '79 - '87 GM axles for sure have a perch width of 31.5" and Dodge 60s are 32.5"
I can attest to that personally. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavist ... index.html

When shopping for a 60 front, make sure the threaded bosses in the diff are good and the threads are not damaged.
I've bought entire GM D60s in junk yard condition anywhere from $300 to $600 but will not pay over that.
Dodge 60s typically go for less since the demand is lower.
'91 and earlier Dodge 60s will have external drive selectors (some call then hubs) while '92 and '93 will have internal selectors.
Chevy and Dodge internally splined wheel hubs are the same part. Chevies typically run 9/16" wheel studs while Dodge runs 1/2" studs.

A 14 bolt in junk yard condition shouldn't run you over $150. Having just fully rebuilt the brakes on the dually 14 bolt in my '94 Chevy, I can personally attest that all new drums, pads, hardware, and parking cables will run you every good bit of $400 for mid grade Napa parts.

Between new king pin kits, seals, bearings, and brakes, rebuilding a 60 front will cost about the same.
There's several on line vendors that sell 60 front rebuild kits but I reccomend buying the brakes parts locally to avoid getting killed on shipping.

I've rebuilt quite a few of these axles over the years so if you want pictures of specific axle parts or have any questions, feel free to hit me up.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

:goodpost :goodpost
John