cummins conversion

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
seanreichert2
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: prince george
State: Foreign

cummins conversion

Post by seanreichert2 »

I have a 68 w200 crew cab project and I was wondering what other people thought of different ways I have thought to do it. First of all I would like to convert it to a 12valve cummins that I plan to build to the 500 to 600hp range. What I am currious about is whether or not I sould do a complete running gear swap from a 90's dodge or if people thought it would be better to keep the 4spd and current t-case. I would like to convert to disc brakes and power steering so I am leaning towards changing all of the running gear to keep all of this simple. These trucks had a reputation of being tough go anywhere trucks and I am wondering if changing all of the running gear is going to ruin that. Also I am wondering if the current trans and tcase are capable of handling the high torque and hp of the motor I would like to put in. I have also thought of going with a built up 383 to keep it period correct but don"t want to live with the drum brakes. Anyway any thoughts would be apreciated.

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Re: cummins conversion

Post by mopardwh »

Well first off, the newer trucks have a boxed in frame, so I doubt they could be any less tough than the 60's frame. It all depends on what type of work you would like to put in it. If you use the newer frame you are gonna need to splice the frame to match the wheelbase, and fabricate body mounts. Also, if you use a 94 up frame, the front will be too long and you will need to move the radiator and intercooler back. There are many crew cab cummins builds on this site for further reading. A lot of really good info. :Thumbsup :welcome to the site! Post some pics of your truck.

search.php?keywords=cummins

StinkFinger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: mission
State: Foreign

Post by StinkFinger »

I would go for the full drive train swap use your frame and new axels motor trans t case steering and breaks

hyperram
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: claypool
State: IN

Post by hyperram »

I am doing a 66 crew cab with a 6.7 cummins 6 speed
i did the full frame