NP201 reseal

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Scrawltrawler
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fairbanks
State: AK

NP201 reseal

Post by Scrawltrawler »

Folks - I could certainly use your opinions & advice. I've got a pretty much stock 68 W200 that has a NP201 t-case. The thing leaks. Bad. Otherwise, seems to work fine. I'd be interested in getting a good manual to help me disassemble as necessary and reseal the unit. Any suggestions/opinions on which manual works the best for teaching someone how to do the job (nope, never done it before but certainly willing to try) would be appreciated. As far as parts go, I've looked at the page that is posted at jobrated.com (http://www.jobrated.com/04_transfer_case_parts.html) and would hope that would have everything a guy would need to r&r a t-case. Thoughts? Any special tools I need to get to do it?

Comments/suggestions/heckling/put down the wrench and slowly back away/etc. will be gratefully accepted! Thanks!

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: NP201 reseal

Post by dodgeboykim »

If your T case is working properly then total disassemble probably not required. Not much to seal on those. Just remove yolks and install new seals. PTO cover is easy and straight forward to do. Inspect yolks for wear. You may need speedi sleeves. Shifter rods may require complete dissasembley.
Last edited by dodgeboykim on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DukePW
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sarnia, ON

Post by DukePW »

I've looked high and low, know one sells after market NP201 manuals. I haven't seen an original one either.
Luckily they do have rebuild kits and seal kits out there.

Scrawltrawler
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Scrawltrawler »

Boy - sure would be great not having to pull and totally rebuild the t-case just for the seals! First idiot question of the day: do I need a special tool for any of that?

As for the manual, the FSM would have the instructions, etc. for working on the NP201, right? If true, anyone have a pref on which manual?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Scrawltrawler wrote:Folks - I could certainly use your opinions & advice. I've got a pretty much stock 68 W200 that has a NP201 t-case. The thing leaks. Bad. Otherwise, seems to work fine. I'd be interested in getting a good manual to help me disassemble as necessary and reseal the unit. Any suggestions/opinions on which manual works the best for teaching someone how to do the job (nope, never done it before but certainly willing to try) would be appreciated. As far as parts go, I've looked at the page that is posted at jobrated.com (http://www.jobrated.com/04_transfer_case_parts.html) and would hope that would have everything a guy would need to r&r a t-case. Thoughts? Any special tools I need to get to do it?

Comments/suggestions/heckling/put down the wrench and slowly back away/etc. will be gratefully accepted! Thanks!
I'm with DodgeBoyKim on this....
If the t-case functions as it should, you can probably get
away with replacint the shaft seals. That site you've mentioned
is where to go. Dave Cirillo is a wealth of knowledge on Power
Wagons.
John

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Here is a place that may have your seal kit. I got my NP435 kit here and it worked out great:
http://cobratransmission.com/index.php? ... ath=3_2117

Scrawltrawler
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Scrawltrawler »

Those are looking like some good tips, guys. I've got the FSM on order from Bishko so as soon as that gets here ... look out! Between jobrated and cobra transmissions, sounds like I've got two good parts leads.

I appreciate all the tips. It's sure gonna help. Think I need to start a build thread . Now, if it'll just stop snowing ... :pale