70 Power Wagon Build

This area is for the Powerwagon 4X4 Enthusiast!
Plowking
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Tamaqua
State: PA

Re: 70 Power Wagon Build

Post by Plowking »

Cab is set on new frame. Things are going to work AWESOME! We will need to make cab mounts. We knew that. That fact allowed us to center the wheel opening around the tire. Things are mocked up and cab mounts built. Unfortunately, some other stuff has taken priority though, so we have not worked on it too much on the last week. As more develops, I will post.
Attachments
resize13.jpg

Plowking
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Plowking »

Last one for now.
Attachments
resize14.jpg

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Nice! :clap :clap
John

Plowking
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Plowking »

John,
Not sure if you mean "nice" on the truck or the Satellite? :-) Either way, thank you!
Jamie

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Do you have a long bed you are putting on the frame? Also keep in mind the rear part of the frame kicks up higher above the rear axle than a Sweptline frame. The bed won't sit correctly on the newer frame.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Plowking wrote:John,
Not sure if you mean "nice" on the truck or the Satellite? :-) Either way, thank you!
Jamie
All of the above Jamie.... :Thumbsup
John

68dually
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: turbotville

Post by 68dually »

Very cool. Looks like it will be a nice truck. The fact that your dad bought the sattelite new is really awesome. 426 wedge and a 4 speed? I can hardly contain myself :lol: . It's a factory race car. I definitely have to come see you some time.

Randy

Plowking
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Plowking »

OK,
We've been SUPER busy with Trannies, so we've been fitting time in on the truck as possible. Brandon, Ray and Daulton have been hammering away on it pretty regular. So, we pulled the 440 out of the '70 frame and mocked it up in the '72-80 frame. Thing fit AMAZINGLY well. It looks like we will just need to re-slot the engine mount brackets and that is it! The 440 that was in the 70 frame didn't have a truck oil pan on it because it had so much lift, the oil pan cleared the axle housing, (that is why the wood is there for the time being) so I secured one with a pickup from a friend for $15.00. Pan is painted and ready to install. We will be degreasing the entire engine and painting it with a fresh coat of Chrysler Turquoise engine paint. I also plan to put an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake on it and ditch the Holley Street Dominator single plane intake.
Attachments
resize22.jpg
Last edited by Plowking on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Plowking
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Plowking »

Another shot: This shot shows the NP445 that we are using. I bought this from a guy at the Maple Grove Mopar show last year for $10.00. Yes 10.00!!! We thought it a was a NP435. Then started researching and checking and discovered it was a 445 with a 4.56 1st gear instead of 6.69 like the 435 was. Quite a lucky find! Especially for $10.00!!! It is attached to the correct '69-71 big block truck bellhousing. I also got super lucky here and scored this for $50.00. We are using a NP208 transfer case because of its light weight and easy availability. Scored this one almost free! See the following pictures explaining what we did here.
Attachments
resize20.jpg
Last edited by Plowking on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plowking
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Plowking »

Trans picture: I obviously cleaned and detailed the unit. It is PERFECT inside. Just re gasketed it and detailed it. It even came with a good (not worn) shifter and a mint factory shifter boot!
Attachments
resize16.jpg
Last edited by Plowking on Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plowking
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Plowking »

Closeup.
Attachments
resize21.jpg

Plowking
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Plowking »

Bellhousing:
Attachments
resize17.jpg

Plowking
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Plowking »

We took the 208 transfer case and mocked everything up. Due to the distance that the transmission output shaft plunges into the transfer case coupler, we needed to machine up a 1/4" thick spacer ring to give clearance. Worked well. I have the 445 adapter machined to accept the 208 bolt pattern. Everything else was fine except depth as explained above.
Attachments
resize18.jpg
Last edited by Plowking on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plowking
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Plowking »

Also been making progress on bed as well as cab floors, rockers, etc. Picture of passenger side rocker, floor, door hinge area replacement. It is truly a shame how the previous owners butchered this poor truck. The trans tunnel is torched out, the floor to the rear of the tunnel was also torched out. Other random holes, were drilled/cut in various places. There is a LOT of work to do yet with sheet metal replacement on the cab.
Attachments
resize23.jpg

Plowking
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Plowking »

We mocked up the cab and box on the later frame. Again, things are going AWESOME! We have to move the rear diff 2 inches forward because of the wheel base difference. That is already done. Picture is before though. Its starting to look like a truck! Then, all back apart again :pale
Attachments
resize15.jpeg

jimmy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Spokane
State: WA

Post by jimmy »

Nice work.
I also love the Satellite. I own Two. Both 65's.
This one is a 383 4spd.
Attachments
IMG00098-20120325-1440.jpg
IMG-20130120-00022.jpg

trevor
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: greenwood
State: CA

Post by trevor »

Your whole shop makes me drool. You are very lucky to still have all those cars, good for you for hanging on to them. I had a 70 Challenger and a 60 Fury that I am going to kick myself till the day I die for selling, and being a dumb kid in the days before Barrett Jackson drive the prices through the roof, I really didn't get much for them. Anyway, I like the truck you building, and was wondering about that paint color. I would like to paint my crew cab PW that color. Do you know if it is a factory color and what it is called. I have seen several PW s that color and I think it looks great.
Thanks,
Trevor

Plowking
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Plowking »

Trevor,
Thank you for the compliment. I really don't know if it is a factory color. The cab was obviously yellow originally as we found yellow all over under the dash, etc. So, I apologize, I can't help you out there. It isn't a bad color. I am really leaning toward orange with a white roof when we paint it.
Jamie

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Post by Roxyflash »

When you redid the floor did you have new sheet metal for the floor and rockers?Sure turned out real nice !!

Plowking
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Plowking »

Yes I did. Got it all from a board member here located in southern PA. REAL NICE stuff. Still needs some fitting and trimming, but what doesn't? Cab floor is FINALLY finished. Now we are just finish welding and grinding all the seams. Should be pretty nice when finished!